Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capone Soft/Hardpull question

tag
Powertrip
Valued Member

Capone Soft/Hardpull question

On October 7th, I received a pre-approval in the mail for  an unsecured Capital One Platinum Mastercard.  I went on line, got approved.  Card's in the mail!

Going through their website to see if I was pre-qualified, I saw pre-approvals for two other cards.  The QuickSilverOne Rewards card and a secured Mastercard.

My question is this, if I hit the Apply Now button from this page, is that going to be a hard pull from my CR?  After I got the Platinum Mastercard approved I went on a tiny app spree because I didn't know any better (two cards that I found out once I got to this site I had no chance in hell for).  I'm trying to avoid anymore hard pulls.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Capone Soft/Hardpull question

Yes hp
Message 2 of 19
Powertrip
Valued Member

Thanks.  So as I'm basically just starting out on credit rebuild, I would be better off waiting to do the application, correct?

Message 3 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If this is your only credit card don't apply for a 2nd cap1 before the first can help your credit first.
First card will really help your credit... Might get you in range of chase and discover in a month.
Message 4 of 19
Powertrip
Valued Member

Thanks for the advice.  Chase is one I've been strongly looking at but don't know at what point I can risk applying for their low-end cards.  I guess it's time for more research!

Message 5 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Keep checking pre-qual site on chase.
What baddies you have?
Message 6 of 19
Powertrip
Valued Member

Message 7 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not certain I agree with the advice posted; if Cap One has a pre-qual for you on a Quicksilver card, I'd take it, and keep it until they changed the rewards program or until you can qualify for some of the top tier 2/3% cards.

I personally don't know of a better zero-AF card out there for default spending, and certainly not when you're just starting out as 1.5% is really hard to beat: may do better on some transactions with a BOFA secured card with their decent 1-2-3 rewards package, but for default spending it beats most everything out there other than cards which you cannot obtain currently and possibly not for several years.

Edit: when you're establishing your first base tradelines, rack up as many inquiries is needed to get 2-3 cards: you're simply penalizing yourself time-wise when it comes to building credit not doing it this way as typically you'll need to hold for six months to year to pick up anything quality after this (by quality I mean Chase / Amex / et al.)

        
Message 8 of 19
Powertrip
Valued Member

Revelate, thanks for your alternate advice!  So basically, shotgun pattern on apps till I have 2-3?

Message 9 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Powertrip wrote:

Revelate, thanks for your alternate advice!  So basically, shotgun pattern on apps till I have 2-3?

Make a list of quality cards and then go from there, really shouldn't need that many more applications.

I would absolutely pick up the Quicksilver card, it's seriously a game changer in the credit strata you're in.

Personally I'd then go pickup a BOFA secured card and add the 1-2-3 rewards package on it: gas / groceries on it, everything else on the Quicksilver, and that's a pretty good place to be for the next year credit wise in terms of rewards.  Alternatively if I got denied from BOFA, I'd go pickup a freebie $0 AF secured card with a CU (*probably* DCU in this scenario for the freebie FICO score, as the rewards on the SDFCU secured are only 1% which if you have the Quicksilver is irrelevant, but there's no credit checks for SDFCU at all for membership nor secured so it's guarunteed, and it does have the EMV if you do need international friendliness).

Alternative option would be if you have a local walk-in credit union, they'd be good to talk to too.

Edit: might be able to pick up an unsecured card from a CU too, tough to tell when establishing cards with prior history I presume based on your score, I didn't check the link Smiley Happy

        
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.