cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captial One Luv Button or Credit Steps or Both???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Captial One Luv Button or Credit Steps or Both???

Hi peeps,

I know there is a lot of info on the forum about this, but I've read a TON and still can't seem to reconcile what I should do. Here's my dilemma  I have Cap1 QS & Cap1 QS ONE. The limits are as follows

Cap1 QS - $2,000      Cap1 QS ONE  - $1,456

I got a small increase on both (about 500) back on 3/23. After that, I received a Cap1 e-mail saying "If you make payments of at least $100  on your QS ONE for the next 6 months, we will raise your limit from $1456 to $2000. I believe this is called credit steps, right???

Since then, I've used both cards like crazy & made big payments $800+ and have requested increases via the love button ....to no avail. I keep getting the response "you've had a recent increase"..blah blah.

So, my 6th statement cuts on 09/25.  Should I hit the love button on both after the statement closes???? or only on the one where I am NOT guaranteed an increase.  Or should I do nothing??  Will pressing the LUV button when the statement closes (or a few days early) interfere with the guaranteed CLI I'll get after 6 months on CS ONE per the email? 

I know no one on here has a crystal ball but any suggested guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm obviously trying to raise the limits as much as possible!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Captial One Luv Button or Credit Steps or Both???

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi peeps,

I know there is a lot of info on the forum about this, but I've read a TON and still can't seem to reconcile what I should do. Here's my dilemma  I have Cap1 QS & Cap1 QS ONE. The limits are as follows

Cap1 QS - $2,000      Cap1 QS ONE  - $1,456

I got a small increase on both (about 500) back on 3/23. After that, I received a Cap1 e-mail saying "If you make at least 100 payments on your QS ONE for the next 6 months, we will raise your limit from $1456 to $2000. I believe this is called credit steps, right???

Since then, I've used both cards like crazy & made big payments $800+ and have requested increases via the love button ....to no avail. I keep getting the response "you've had a recent increase"..blah blah.

So, my 6th statement cuts on 09/25.  Should I hit the love button on both after the statement closes???? or only on the one where I am NOT guaranteed an increase.  Or should I do nothing??  Will pressing the LUV button when the statement closes (or a few days early) interfere with the guaranteed CLI I'll get after 6 months on CS ONE per the email? 

I know no one on here has a crystal ball but any suggested guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm obviously trying to raise the limits as much as possible!

100 payments or $100 payments? Please clarify because that would be 16.6 payments a month Lol

Anyway wait for credit steps CLI and hit the luv button immediately after

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
krisssmmm
Regular Contributor

Hit it before credit steps kicks in. Once you get the cs limit you'll have to wait another 6 months. My second card I did cli got $500 then two weeks later the cs limit o$500. 

Message 3 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

I did it the way stated above and got both in a week so I guess its a YMMV Hmmmm

Went EO 1 month later and got doubled CLI

Most of the time I'v seen the 6 month rule is via luv button after a semi-annual CLI YMMV again tho

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for pointing out the typo and providing feedback. I just edited the original post.  I was told I needed to make payments of at least $100 for 6 months. 

Message 5 of 7
rockbttm442
Frequent Contributor

Personally I'd wait and see what credit steps does. They will more than likely increase your limit more than the $500 it promises. But as most have said YMMV.
Cap 1 QS1 - $3300, Kemba CU - $500, Chase Freedom - $500, Sears MC - $751, Sears - $2000, Hot Topic - $1230, Grismer - $1200, Target - $1800, Walmart - $200, Home Depot - $500, Discover IT Chrome - $7000, Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5000
Message 6 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Some people say holding off on hitting the luv button before your steps increase yields much more generous steps CLIs than if you would've jumped the gun and asked for a CLI before your steps increase. Don't know if there's any truth to it, but just something to keep in mind.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.