cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Rental Insurance\What card were you able to get free insurance with?

tag
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Car Rental Insurance\What card were you able to get free insurance with?

Last time I went traveling (Puerto Rico) the car rental agency asked me if I had AMEX for free insurance. Recently I been thinking about closing my AMEX due to lack of activity but then hesitated remembering the time I used it for insurance.  Have you guys been able to use other cards for free insurance such as VISA Sig? I'm asking b/c if it's not just an AMEX thing I want to close it out. Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

Re: Car Rental Insurance\What card were you able to get free insurance with?

Many of the premium credit cards (Visa Signature, AMEX) have free collision insurance, as long as you use the card to pay for the rental and decline the rental company's insurance.  However, their insurance is almost always secondary, which means if you have personal car insurance, you file a claim with them first, and then the credit card will pay for the deductible.  The downside is it shows as a claim on your car insurance.  I beliefe if you do not have car insurance (i.e. you don't own your own car), then the coverage becomes primary (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

With American Express, there is a way to get primary coverage (i.e. you don't have to file a claim on your car insurance) through their premium rental car insurance.  It does, however, come at a cost (about $20-25 per rental, depending on your state and selected coverage level).  Still, given rental car companies charge that much by the day, AMEX is a bargain (AMEX also covers most international rentals, which free coverage and/or your car insurance may not).  I use it whenever I rent a car for more than one day (if it is just a one-day rental, I take my chances).

Message 2 of 14
lakerfan2011
Regular Contributor

the world elite mastercards have primary rental car insurance when you use you card to pay for the rental car

Message 3 of 14
Longroad
Established Contributor

I believe that I read somewhere that the United Explorer also had primary inusrance. 

Message 4 of 14
lakerfan2011
Regular Contributor

yup i actually have the united presidential plus mastercard has really great benefits like that

Message 5 of 14
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

@MASTERNC wrote:

Many of the premium credit cards (Visa Signature, AMEX) have free collision insurance, as long as you use the card to pay for the rental and decline the rental company's insurance.  However, their insurance is almost always secondary, which means if you have personal car insurance, you file a claim with them first, and then the credit card will pay for the deductible.  The downside is it shows as a claim on your car insurance.  I beliefe if you do not have car insurance (i.e. you don't own your own car), then the coverage becomes primary (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

With American Express, there is a way to get primary coverage (i.e. you don't have to file a claim on your car insurance) through their premium rental car insurance.  It does, however, come at a cost (about $20-25 per rental, depending on your state and selected coverage level).  Still, given rental car companies charge that much by the day, AMEX is a bargain (AMEX also covers most international rentals, which free coverage and/or your car insurance may not).  I use it whenever I rent a car for more than one day (if it is just a one-day rental, I take my chances).

Thanks for the reply. So let's say I just want to dodge the insurance fee and interested in getting Secondary Insurance (which according to you may or may not become primary if I do not have in my personal life regular car insurance), do most places that do this with AMEX will do it with the VISA Sig? Or are they usually just offering it for AMEX?

Message 6 of 14
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

Discover does this as well I believe.  

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 7 of 14
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Cool, but I'd like to know if AMEX and VISA Sig are interchangeable or do places usually just take the AMEX for free insurance.

Message 8 of 14
Longroad
Established Contributor

If the car rental agency accepts Visa then it should be fine. Just check the terms and benefits on your CC agreement to be certain, especially outside the US

Message 9 of 14
Jlu
Established Contributor

My JPM Select has primary rental insurance coverage, which is one of the very few with this perk. Most have secondary rental converage. Big difference.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.