Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car Rental Question with CC?

tag
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Car Rental Question with CC?

In the future though for any car rentals use the PRG, simply put its an awesome card. Good luck and safe travels.
Message 11 of 19
Derrick1977
Frequent Contributor

@creditguy wrote:
In the future though for any car rentals use the PRG, simply put its an awesome card. Good luck and safe travels.

Definitely will.   I might still use it today lol.   Thanks man, I am going to pick up the family. 

Message 12 of 19
Derrick1977
Frequent Contributor

@creditguy wrote:

Interesting, I just spoke with a representative from AMEX and they said they yes I can use my PRG for secondary coverage on an SUV.

I don't know whether to use it or not, esp. with the fine print that says they don't cover it lol. 

Message 13 of 19
creditguy
Valued Contributor

When in doubt go by what the fine print says. Take what a CSR says with a grain of salt, they aren't always the most informed folks. You don't want to file a claim based on what a CSR says, your the one responsible, not them, so they can say whatever but that doesn't help you.
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's your insurance policy coverage for State Farm? Also, do you have home owner insurance? What kind of SUV are you renting? Most time your State Farm insurance should cover any damages that does occur. Of course if you only have insurance policy that's 15/30/15 and your renting a 70k SUV and total it and it's your fault in accident. If that does happen you have a lot more other things to worry. Don't think too much and enjoy the rental with family.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that the State Farm bit is the most important. I think Freedom has decent secondary coverage, although I don't know if it extends to SUVs.

Message 16 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Derrick1977 wrote:

I am renting a SUV today, for one day and I am using one of the cards below.  I have never used anyone of them besides my QS. I won't to avoid getting

their (Enterprise or Alamo's) insurance.   Which card do you recommend I use.   I also have State Farm full coverage as my primary insurance.   Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

What are the concerns behind your question?  Is it just a matter of the coverage provided by your cards?  If so, it's up to you to understand your cards, read the terms of the coverages and select the option that best suits you.  Don't expect others to do this for you.  If you have specific questions we can certainly help but you should be doing this.  I can't even see the images in your signature because the proxy here at work blocks the host your're using.

@Derrick1977 wrote:

I was looking at using the PRG but the only thing that turns me away from them is that it states that it does not cover SUV's or vehicles that cost more than $50K.  

I am needing a SUV and I am not sure any of my cards will cover that as a secondary. 

This policy does not cover some vehicles,  e.g. full-sized sport utility vehicles, trucks, off-road vehicles, cars with an original manufacturer's suggested new retail price of USD $50,000 or more, and exotic cars, as described in the Terms and Conditions.

That's why I use AmEx premium coverage.  I generally don't rent SUV's but there are vehicles that I rent that are not covered by many cards that offer coverage.  This is one example of why you need to read the terms to select the option that suits you best.

@Derrick1977 wrote:

I am going to use StateFarm as my primary 

Your call to make but why?  You can certainly use them for liability as your cards don't offer liability.  However, there's no need to risk rate hikes for the other coverages.

Message 17 of 19
Derrick1977
Frequent Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Derrick1977 wrote:

I am renting a SUV today, for one day and I am using one of the cards below.  I have never used anyone of them besides my QS. I won't to avoid getting

their (Enterprise or Alamo's) insurance.   Which card do you recommend I use.   I also have State Farm full coverage as my primary insurance.   Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

What are the concerns behind your question?  Is it just a matter of the coverage provided by your cards?  If so, it's up to you to understand your cards, read the terms of the coverages and select the option that best suits you.  Don't expect others to do this for you.  If you have specific questions we can certainly help but you should be doing this.  I can't even see the images in your signature because the proxy here at work blocks the host your're using.

@Derrick1977 wrote:

I was looking at using the PRG but the only thing that turns me away from them is that it states that it does not cover SUV's or vehicles that cost more than $50K.  

I am needing a SUV and I am not sure any of my cards will cover that as a secondary. 

This policy does not cover some vehicles,  e.g. full-sized sport utility vehicles, trucks, off-road vehicles, cars with an original manufacturer's suggested new retail price of USD $50,000 or more, and exotic cars, as described in the Terms and Conditions.

That's why I use AmEx premium coverage.  I generally don't rent SUV's but there are vehicles that I rent that are not covered by many cards that offer coverage.  This is one example of why you need to read the terms to select the option that suits you best.

@Derrick1977 wrote:

I am going to use StateFarm as my primary 

Your call to make but why?  You can certainly use them for liability as your cards don't offer liability.  However, there's no need to risk rate hikes for the other coverages.

Hi Takeishi74-

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I read the terms thouroughly and spoke to two different AMEX representatives. Once said they covered it and the other said they didn't.

Nevertheless, I used my insurance as my primary and use my AMEX as a secondary.  An AMEX manager told me it would be fine and even said she would add the notes that she gave that information to me. She said that they get that question all the time because it is extremely confusing and some of their reps even get it confused at times lol.  It worked out perfect and now I am finish with the rental and not only that, I paid $59 and some change for one day.  Nevertheless, I read the terms but some of the wordings, as I explained to her, I needed a little more clarification on. 

Message 18 of 19
Derrick1977
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What's your insurance policy coverage for State Farm? Also, do you have home owner insurance? What kind of SUV are you renting? Most time your State Farm insurance should cover any damages that does occur. Of course if you only have insurance policy that's 15/30/15 and your renting a 70k SUV and total it and it's your fault in accident. If that does happen you have a lot more other things to worry. Don't think too much and enjoy the rental with family.

Thanks Rott.   Thats exactly what I did and State Farm told me that I'm covered lol.   Yes, I have howeowners and full coverage.   Yes, the truck was right at $70k lol. 

Thank God, I'm finished with it and everything went well. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.