tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Car rental options

@ojefferyo wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

@ojefferyo wrote:

@chally wrote:

I don't pretend to have a firm handle on this, but most credit cards offer secondary insurance on car rentals. They pay what your own individual insurance won't. Which means if you live in an area where insurance claims are tied to surcharges, you may want to look into renting with a CC that provides Primary Insurance ie Amex (once enrolled), CSP, ect.

On the other hand I rented a car thru Avis on my lowly Sears Citi card back in the day and was on the reciving end of a 'minor' hit and run, MC took care of everything.

That's why I used my AMEX. Primary coverage.

Is this a feature that is part of some particular Amex cards or is it on all Amexes, j/c?

It's an optional thing you can enroll for on certain  AMEX cards, and they charge you $17 flat fee (California) per rental for coverage. For me it's on my AMEX Hilton

+1

From what I understand, you have to have the card 'registered' for it to begin with, but once registered there's no fee until you have a charge coded for a rental car agency (a charge of any amount).  This means you could use Hertz points to cover the rental, but as long as something on the folio is 'billable' and you use Amex, the rental is covered.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do

It's not perfect for every situation, but it seems like a good deal to me. 

Also I've read that once enrolled any rental-related charge invokes the fee so watch your statement carefully if you happen to purchase something after the fact at a rental agency (for example, a road atlas charged on a seperate ticket).  Some folks report being 'double-billed' for the insurance fee in cases like this, but also report it's a known issue to Amex and they are quick to refund the second fee when brought to their attention.

Message 31 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.