Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Approval Story

tag
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Card Approval Story

So here's the episode...I've been working 2 improve credit, highest score was equifax at 664 when I began this adventure couple months ago...reason being 2 CO accounts don't appear on EQ but are on EX n TU...anyway I had a couple of public records on all 3, disputed n removed from all...then, my gf added me as an auth user on her Amex blue n gold, which gave fico bump, n hit 682...next, I have a cap one n household bank card both with 300 CL's...paid down both cards, n left my util ratio at 1%...that bumped score up some, n hit 691...I froze my EX n TU reports, n Sunday finally took plunge n applied 4 Amex Zync...Monday morning called 2 check status n of course, tried 2 pull EX...I asked if they could pull EQ n 2 my surprise they did without a hassle...once I verified home address I was approved !!!  Couldn't believe it...Filled with courage, I took shot at Chase Freedom this morning...called the backdoor number n they couldn't process app bcuz(again) tried pulling EX...I again asked if they could pull EQ he said sure no problem n was instantly approved with 1500 CL...I'm now gonna keep the cap one, zync, freedom, gold n blue(auth user) n close household bank cuz I opened it earlier this yr n it carries a 59 dollar AF 4 a card that offers no benefits...I'm gonna garden...in summation, thank u 2 everyone on this forum, u provided me with so much knowledge that made this all possible...my gratitude, u guys rock !!!

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Card Approval Story

That's incredible. 

I'm not sure that it's entirely ethical, but it's a brilliant use of the information you can find here.

Yay u!

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 12
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

congrats! And thats a nice CL on the freedom.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 3 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats, 

Those are really nice cards to add to your garden... Again, freezing your reports wasn't really intended as a means to force creditors to pull the report you wanted, but in your case it worked out.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 4 of 12
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't close out your other cards quite yet.  Now that you are customer you will see your new card issuers pull whatever report they feel like.  The reaction might be a bit extreme if there are significant differences in credit scores and reports.  From their perspective, at best your credit looks to be much worse from when they last pulled and at worse it sends up fraud alerts internally and causes your cards to close immediately.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Crashem wrote:

I wouldn't close out your other cards quite yet.  Now that you are customer you will see your new card issuers pull whatever report they feel like.  The reaction might be a bit extreme if there are significant differences in credit scores and reports.  From their perspective, at best your credit looks to be much worse from when they last pulled and at worse it sends up fraud alerts internally and causes your cards to close immediately.

I agree with Crashem... In my recent experience, Chase did an account review 30 days after approval...  They closed my account!  then re-opened it after I called and explained. 

I had typed a checking account number wrong when trying to pay the bill online using my iphone, which resulted in a returned payment.

FICO 9:

Message 6 of 12
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

You've made great progress.  Congratulations on your new cards!

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@webhopper wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

I agree with Crashem... In my recent experience, Chase did an account review 30 days after approval...  They closed my account!  then re-opened it after I called and explained. 

I had typed a checking account number wrong when trying to pay the bill online using my iphone, which resulted in a returned payment.

Wait.. did they close your account after an account review or because of the returned payment?

Message 8 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

The payment returned and an account review, showing I had opened several new accounts, as well as multiple inquiries.

The letter listed 3 reasons for account closure.

I made a thread about this in march or april.

The returned payment was the main reason. The analyst I spoke with noted that the other accounts I had opened were nfcu and amex, he didn't have any issue with those, as I had been managing them well.
FICO 9:

Message 9 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

If anyone is interested, here is my old thread

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Chase-Closed-my-account-then-reopened-it-Update/td-p/13...

Looking at the thread it seems as though I made a returned payment on 3 30 and they closed account on 4 6.

They cited, returned payment
Number of new accounts
Lots of spending on the card.

The card had a small balance of about 400 when I was calling to recon the account closure.
FICO 9:

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.