cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Suggestions from seasoned members?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Card Suggestions from seasoned members?

Then yes, they were hard pulls.

Message 21 of 28
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I believe they were hard pulls - how could i tell if they were only ones I see? And yes I believe someone got my information, I just send out the letters to both institutions regarding the issue and they are due to be delivered tomorrow and then I will need to hear back from them.

I certainly won't discount them, I just don't want to apply for them while this dispute of the inquiries is going on because I don't want them to think it was me doing the past inquiries if it was me doing a new one.

But I usually use my card for the majority of purchases and then pay down the balance. On my capital one card, I had the 0% APR until November of this year so I have been carrying a balance but once the 0% runs out, I will probably only carry a small balance. No large purchases coming up, I personally don't have a membership at any clubs but my mother does. Sign up incentives are not a big deal for me and APR doesn't really bother me, I know being newer to the credit world that I probably won't get anything too amazingly low.

As LTL said above, you would only see SPs on report that you order directly from the CRAs.   If you get your info from other places like CreditKarma, they only show HPs.   Anyway, hopefully all goes well in those investigations and things are cleared up.

Since you don't mention any specific categories, perhaps a flat rate card is good.   You should look into PCing your Cap One Platinum into a QS, so you can get 1.5% cash back.   I also like Blispay a lot...2% cash back on everything and promo financing for 6 months on purchases over $199.

If you like choosing categories, you might also want to look at US Bank Cash+ to see if those are of any value for your situation.  

if you dine out frequently or spend frequenly on entertainment, Marvel MC is worth looking into for 3% cash back on those items.   Their entertainment category is very broad, so that can be good.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

So i'm not really sure how this works, but the platinum card is quicksilver rewards, or at least that's what they explained to me over the chat service. i started with a QS1, but it went over to platinum somehow but im still gaining the 1.5% cash back?? no idea on that.

im hoping to hear back good news on the inquiries dispute because it was like 6 inquiries!
Message 23 of 28
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
So i'm not really sure how this works, but the platinum card is quicksilver rewards, or at least that's what they explained to me over the chat service. i started with a QS1, but it went over to platinum somehow but im still gaining the 1.5% cash back?? no idea on that.

im hoping to hear back good news on the inquiries dispute because it was like 6 inquiries!

"Platinum" may refer to your Visa level ("Visa Platinum") as opposed to the Capital One product itself.   If you're getting the QS rewards, then you're good.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 24 of 28
sarge12
Senior Contributor

I find that a good credit card from a credit union offers the lowest APR...I have 2, 1@6.99% and 1@8.5%. They are lacking in rewards though. Credit cards are as varied as you can get, so it all depends on what works best for you. I have many cards that I carry and use. APR is of little importance to me personally, as I PIF always. My most used cards are Citi DC WEMC, QS1 visa sig., and I use AMEX blue everyday card for 3% on groceries. I also sometimes use discover it, Barclaycard Cash rewards WMC, and Chase Freedom Unlimited visa sig. I just recently recieved a State Farm Rewards visa sig. card that I will use for my insurance mainly...3% cash back on all State Farm insurance payments. I never fly so an air miles card would be useless to me. I have never used the visa sig. or WEMC perks and if I could I would remove that from most of my cards to save merchants on swipe fees. They actually charge higher swipe fees for the sig. and WEMC and they do not even really give you a choice. If you apply for the Chase Freedom for example, they do not tell you if it will be Visa or Visa Sig.,and once you get scores in the 800 range it is always Visa Sig or WEMC just so the issuer/network can make more money on swipe fees.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

In terms of recommendable cash back cards, here are some (even though this thread is old, many of the cards are still some of the best): http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/BEST-CASH-BACK-ANNUAL-FREE-CARDS/td-p/3403447

Make sure you scroll down until you see themanwhocan's post which is really great.

This thread inspired me to get the cards that I have in my signature right now. 

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Just confirming what the others have said. You got all you need for now, so just wait for your history to build up a little bit and for the dust to settle.
If you come across a card that seems like it would be the perfect fit for you, then go ahead and app for it (maybe check with the people here for advice first), that's what great about having good credit! No need to go rushing out to find a couple of cards that you don't really have a true use for. The right ones will come along and you can add/subtract cards as needed, but try not to get carried away with a new card every few months.

I wish I had slowed down when I started. Now I have like 6 cards that I have no use for.

Well said YupYup!

Message 27 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It can also depend how complex you want to get. When I first started in the "credit world" I started applying for a lot of random cards for 3% on this or 2% on that, and ended up with a dozen cards that all had a specific purpose. That said, unless you are spending a lot of money on each one, you end up with a dollar or two each month scattered across each. Some people don't mind this and want the highest return on every purchase, and that's fine. For me, less is more. If you are not a huge spender you will probably be better off with a flat rate 1.5% or 2% card. It's a more "boring" option but will give a reliable return with no fuss.

The cards with 3% on certain things can be nice but unless it makes up a huge portion of your budget you are not going to notice a huge difference. If I could go back and start over I would not have racked up inquiries applying for things with a marginal gain. If your spend level is higher you can justify more. Good luck.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.