Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Suggestions from seasoned members?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card Suggestions from seasoned members?

A little background info:

- I am fairly new to the credit world, only been building credit for about 2 years, oldest account is 29 months old, newest reported is 3 months - averaging about 17 months. 

- My scores according to Credit Karma: Equifax-696 and TransUnion-683. My score according to Credit.com: Experian-714

* I received my FICO from a car dealership within the last few days and my TransUnion score was a 735.

* I will hopefully be purchasing my FICO scores sooner rather than later

- Like I mentioned, a dealership just pulled my credit score because I just leased a new vehicle. I also just applied and got approved for a Chase Freedom card but that has not shown up on the reports yet.

- Not factoring in the Freedom card because I haven't received or activated yet, I have two open credit cards - one with Capital One and one with Citizens Bank - and then a Victoria's Secret store card and a line of credit from PayPal.

- I have never made a late payment, my utilization is about 8 or 9%, no negative marks on my report, never had anything in collections.

- I have more than 5 inquiries on all reports.

Now, I am mostly interested in cash back rewards as I don't travel enough for travel benefits. I also want to avoid Discover and Barclays. 

Given the information provided, what do you think I should go for, if anything? Just looking for an expert opinion here! 

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
driftless
Valued Contributor

Re: Card Suggestions from seasoned members?

Now that you have added Freedom, I would just grow the cards that you have for the time being.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 2 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I would agree, just use the Freedom and let it grow for awhile. There's no rush.

Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do you want to avoid Discover? With the Discover it, you can receive 5% cash back on specific categories such as Amazon and they'll match what you've earn in cash back rewards after the first year. For example, if you've spend $12,000 at Amazon during its quarter, you'll receive $600.00 in cash back which then Discover will match that at the end of the year making that a total of $1,200 in cash back.

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just confirming what the others have said. You got all you need for now, so just wait for your history to build up a little bit and for the dust to settle.
If you come across a card that seems like it would be the perfect fit for you, then go ahead and app for it (maybe check with the people here for advice first), that's what great about having good credit! No need to go rushing out to find a couple of cards that you don't really have a true use for. The right ones will come along and you can add/subtract cards as needed, but try not to get carried away with a new card every few months.

I wish I had slowed down when I started. Now I have like 6 cards that I have no use for.
Message 5 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

A little background info:

- I am fairly new to the credit world, only been building credit for about 2 years, oldest account is 29 months old, newest reported is 3 months - averaging about 17 months. 

- My scores according to Credit Karma: Equifax-696 and TransUnion-683. My score according to Credit.com: Experian-714

* I received my FICO from a car dealership within the last few days and my TransUnion score was a 735.

* I will hopefully be purchasing my true FICO scores sooner rather than later

- Like I mentioned, a dealership just pulled my credit score because I just leased a new vehicle. I also just applied and got approved for a Chase Freedom card but that has not shown up on the reports yet.

- Not factoring in the Freedom card because I haven't received or activated yet, I have two open credit cards - one with Capital One and one with Citizens Bank - and then a Victoria's Secret store card and a line of credit from PayPal.

- I have never made a late payment, my utilization is about 8 or 9%, no negative marks on my report, never had anything in collections.

- I have more than 5 inquiries on all reports.

Now, I am mostly interested in cash back rewards as I don't travel enough for travel benefits. I also want to avoid Discover and Barclays. 

Given the information provided, what do you think I should go for, if anything? Just looking for an expert opinion here! 

One critical piece of information needed is your spending pattern, e.g. do you spend a lot on groceries, on gas, on eating out etc

Message 6 of 28
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Ummm Discover (and chase) cap the categories so if you spend $12,000 at Amazon between now and the end of the year you will not get 600 cash back
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're really that interested in applying you should get your real FICO 08 score. Fortunately, I don't have to do that because American Express, Discover, Barclay and Citi bank already does that for free once a month.

Message 8 of 28
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You really don't need expert opinion, you just have to understand how to do the analysis.  Unfortuantely that's really not the info we need.  We can't tell you your approval odds for any product as wel don't have access to the details of the underwriting criteria.  We can guess based on your credit profile but keep in mind that it's jsut a guess.  If your focus is on rewards then what are you major spend categories including noncategory?  Run the numbers for your spend when looking at cards to understand the $ impact of the rewards you stand to gain.

Why are you avoiding Discover and Barclaycard?

@Anonymous wrote:

I am fairly new to the credit world, only been building credit for about 2 years, oldest account is 29 months old, newest reported is 3 months - averaging about 17 months. 

So you have a young credit profile with at least 1 new account and probably more as accounts are considered new until 2 years.  At this point you should probably cool your jets and let the new accounts age before worrying about applying for more credit.  With a young profile like yours you're going to see more of an impact from having new accounts and credit seeking activity.

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores according to Credit Karma: Equifax-696 and TransUnion-683. My score according to Credit.com: Experian-714 

You always need to consider the specific scoring model when referencing any score.  Additionally, you need to consider the relevance of a given model/CRA combo to your creditors and the products you intend to apply for.  CK's VantageScores are only relevant to creditors that use a TU or EQ VantageScore 3.0.  Are you applying for products where those models/CRA's are used in the decision?  If not, then those scores will not be relevant.  Same applies to any model/CRA combo.

@Anonymous wrote:

* I will hopefully be purchasing my true FICO scores sooner rather than later 

Again, you always need to consider the specific scoring model.  FICO doesn't have just one model  Different models evaluate report data differently and can have different scoring ranges so you cannot use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by another model.  Which FICO did the dealership use?  Was it auto enhanced?

Don't rely on oversimplifcations such as "true".  It's relevance that matters.  Not all creditors use FICO's.  Even with those that do they don't all use the same model.  You cannot assume that all FICO models are equivalent.

@Anonymous wrote:

Given the information provided, what do you think I should go for, if anything?

What are you specifically looking to accomplish?  Selecting a card is always about determining what suits the indivudal.  Your prior cards should have been selected after careful consideration.  What purpose are they not serving that you are looking to fill or are you jsut asking us to help you justify a new card app?  You should have the reason based on your specific needs/wants first and then use that info to narrow down the cards out there based on how well they fit your requirements.  It sounds like you're going about it backwards.

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dragontears wrote:
Ummm Discover (and chase) cap the categories so if you spend $12,000 at Amazon between now and the end of the year you will not get 600 cash back

The end of the story is Discover it customers will have received a total of 10% cash back by the end of the year if they shop accordingly to the quarter categories.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.