Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Suggestions?

tag
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

Card Suggestions?

Closing on my house monday and would like to add some higher limit cards to my arsenal.  My scores are in my sig.  I currently have an Amex Blue 2500, USAA Amex 1000, and USAA Plat 4000.  I think I want to add two or three more tops.  My current uti is around 8%.

My dad won't sign up for NFCU so i can't get those.  Smiley Sad 

AAOA (open) accounts is relatively small under 2 years.  Generally it's somewhere between 5 and 10. 
No collections, one charge off on an auto 5 years ago that has no balance.  No lates in 3 years.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Re: Card Suggestions?

First of all, congrats on the new home! 

And as far as card suggestions, just from what I've read on here, I think you should look into the OCCU Beaver or Duck card.  They appear to be generous with initial CL offers - of course, subject to your credit profile, etc.  IMO, with your profile, you wouldn't have much of an issue.

Also, how long have you had your AmEx? Have you tried for your 3xCLI with them?  If not, you should if your card's been open for at least 60-61 days.

Anyway, just a suggestion.  Best of luck with whatever you decide and with your new home!

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 2 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@basballguy wrote:

Closing on my house monday and would like to add some higher limit cards to my arsenal.  My scores are in my sig.  I currently have an Amex Blue 2500, USAA Amex 1000, and USAA Plat 4000.  I think I want to add two or three more tops.  My current uti is around 8%.

My dad won't sign up for NFCU so i can't get those.  Smiley Sad 

AAOA (open) accounts is relatively small under 2 years.  Generally it's somewhere between 5 and 10. 
No collections, one charge off on an auto 5 years ago that has no balance.  No lates in 3 years.

You mentioned your AAoA < 2 yrs; how recently opened were any of the 4 cards you listed?

Message 3 of 7
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

all the cards listed are under a year old.  I haven't done the amex 3x CLI but plan on doing it after i close.

Message 4 of 7
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

If you want a high limit card....I would go with Chase, Amex or CITI depending on your credit history. The high limit cards will be based on YMMV.

I apped for a Amex BCP and got $10K. It's my 2nd Amex. Chase is also generous with their CL. I bank with them so it helped me. GL.

Message 5 of 7
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the house. I am waiting patiently to see your post with pics on the mortgage board.

My two cents,

1. tell your dad to join nfcu just so you can join

2. then go for your Amex 3xCLI

3. OCCU Duck or Beaver or both

4. Chase and recon if needed.

5. Home Depot or Lowes (for house stuff) 

Best of luck and congrats again!!!!!!!!!! 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 7
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@basballguy wrote:

all the cards listed are under a year old.  I haven't done the amex 3x CLI but plan on doing it after i close.

FYI...AMEX CLI requests are SPs. I don't think you'll have a problem if you do it now but understand if you'd rather wait.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.