Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Upgraded

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card Upgraded

so a little background information... i am currently in the process of rebuilding my CS due to losing my employment because of lay offs. i fell behind on several payments on my capital one platnium card with a 300 CL. well i gained full time employment with a much higher salary than before november of last year. i have had on time payments ever since. over the last two months ive applied for a CLI through capital one's automated program.  The first time was back in june and i got the dreaded "letter in 7-10 business days" message and was denied. so i waited and then just last month i called capital one's csr line and talked to one of their reps, explained my situation then the rep looked at my account and details. he told me he couldnt see why i wouldnt be eligble to recieve an increase and encouraged me to apply. so i did and instantly was denied. i was confused and honestly let down.  i called the rep line again and explained everything that had happened and got a very nice and respectable lady named donna who said she was not sure why i was denied an increase but informed me i was able to upgrade my card from the platnium to the quicksilver rewards card. 

my question im confused to why im not eligable for a CLI but was able to upgrade my card?? weird. 

TU: 589 EQ: 583 EX: 588

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Card Upgraded

Cap1 has a policy of no CLIs if you have a missed payment in the last 12 months. Not just with them, but you wont get a CLI if u missed a payment with any other creditor on your credit report.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience! I'm curious... Did the denial letter explain why you were denied a CLI?

Message 3 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience! I'm curious... Did the denial letter explain why you were denied a CLI?

+1 ^^^ the denial letter will be the key! 

First of all, welcome to myFICO, @Anonymouswelcome.gif

In my own experience the denial letters sent out by Capital One are usually pretty specific... it could be something as simple as not enough usage (I used to get that one a lot).

In any case, congrats on the upgrade to a Quicksilver!  My own QS1 was upgraded to a QS back in February, and I think I was happier about that then I've ever been about it getting a CLI... LOL (I tried for literally years to get that upgrade). 

With Capital One the criteria to get an upgrade isn't the same as the criteria to get a CLI (as you've found out), and I found this out as well.  For what it's worth, the more difficult task for many is the upgrade, and you've got that part done... once you get the letter you'll see what needs to be addressed to get your CLI.  It might even be something relatively minor.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the welcomes everyone. I've been browsing around the site for some time now and finally decided to make a log in. 

I am very excited about the upgrade and to finally have a rewards card especially with my current scores. Hopefully the CLI will come with time as ideal utilization with a 300cl is very difficult !  

i went and looked at the denial letters and it was " one of your C1 accounts where recently past due" I looked and it has not been a full 12 months since I went past due so I will wait a couple of months and apply again Smiley Happy 

ive got a long way to go but I have already got some great information. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.