Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card Usage

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card Usage

If i use all my credit cards and PIF before the statement cuts except leave a small balance on 1 card, does FICO know this and/or does it matter for my score?

Also is utilization always rounded up?
(I.e. 6.45% would be considered 7%?)

I ask this because in order for me to get 1-9% on my cards per month i have to charge about $100 a month which covers all the stuff i would need to pay for anyways like bills and stuff. so if i can get my utilization at 1.25% then it would be considered 2%?

Thanks.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Card Usage

I believe util is broken down to brackets 1-9, 10-19, etc. so it does not matter where you are as long as it's under 9.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

JDizzle wrote:
If i use all my credit cards and PIF before the statement cuts except leave a small balance on 1 card, does FICO know this and/or does it matter for my score?

FICO will not know this, and it will not affect your score.  FICO only knows the reported balance in a given month.  What you stated is exactly the best way to handle your cards for maximum FICO purposes.

JDizzle wrote:

Also is utilization always rounded up?
(I.e. 6.45% would be considered 7%?)

In my experience, utilization is rounded up.  Others have reported different experiences.

Essentially, however, there is no difference between 1% and 9% for most people.  Allow a balance to report of greater than $0 and 9% or less and you should be good.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great! thanks for your help; i'm just going to repeat this system month after month and let my history build positivly.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.