Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card benefits that you may not normally be familiar with

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Card benefits that you may not normally be familiar with

So I thought I would start a thread where people list card benefits that may not necessarily be common knowledge. Many of us get cards for signup offers or the bonus categories, cashback etc. That's all the obvious stuff. I'm talking more about benefits that people may not realize they can get on their card.

For example, with a world elite mastercard (I did this with my citi exec card) I was able to get avis first status and a free two day car rental for signing up. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

Re: Card benefits that you may not normally be familiar with

Do you call Avis directly or did you call Citi?

Message 2 of 12
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I noticed some of my cards have like purchase protection and flight insurance in the event of a death, as morbid as that sounds.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@Omnipotent wrote:

Do you call Avis directly or did you call Citi?

You do it via avis. 

;
Message 4 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
I noticed some of my cards have like purchase protection and flight insurance in the event of a death, as morbid as that sounds.

I think the CSP has trip cancellation insurance. 

;
Message 5 of 12
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@red259 wrote:

So I thought I would start a thread where people list card benefits that may not necessarily be common knowledge. Many of us get cards for signup offers or the bonus categories, cashback etc. That's all the obvious stuff. I'm talking more about benefits that people may not realize they can get on their card.

For example, with a world elite mastercard (I did this with my citi exec card) I was able to get avis first status and a free two day car rental for signing up. 

How were you able to get Avis first status without first signing up for Avis Preferred first? Inquiring minds and curiosity would like to know Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 12
flawesome
Contributor

Some of the the lovly members here just informed me that I can get cash back with my Discover card without a cash advance fee. Seems to be treated like a purchase. Looks like it'll stay in my wallet for that Smiley Happy

| BoA BBR 5k | Discover it 1k | freedom 2.2k | Fidelity AMEX 1.5k | Sallie Mae 1k | AARP 2.2k | BJ's PPlus 3.7k |
Message 7 of 12
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Not exactly a free benefit but I had no idea Amex has its own credit monitoring services. I signed up for it the other day and it's great. Monitors all three bureaus too.

Also free Shoprunner membership if you're an Amex customer so that was really nice to find out.

Still figuring out Visa Signature benefits and when I'd be able to really use them.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 8 of 12
red259
Super Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

How were you able to get Avis first status without first signing up for Avis Preferred first? Inquiring minds and curiosity would like to know Smiley Very Happy

I had avis preferred status then it just upgraded me when I went through the required signup links.You can just signup for avis preferred the same day you upgrade if you want, since that is only the basic level and its free anyway. 

;
Message 9 of 12
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Real good. Thanks for the tip LoL

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.