Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card for Gas and Dining Out?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card for Gas and Dining Out?

Had my heart set on the Sams Club MC but it doesn't seem like that's ever gonna happen. Scores are in the 670s, what are my options with awesome rewards for gas and dining out? I have a Discover, Marriot Visa, Amazon Visa, Old Navy Visa, Sams and Walmart store cards, Citi DC and CapOne Qs but I really want something slightly better rewards because gas and take out is like 90% of my spend.

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Card for Gas and Dining Out?

Chase AARP. 3% gas and restaurants.

Message 2 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase AARP is 3% on both.  Discover and freedom will rotate both as 5% categories but you can probably only count on one quarter of each for sure.  3% on both with no caps fits nIcely if you're looking for consistent rewards on both.  

Message 3 of 43
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Chase AARP Visa.

Mods, lock this thread.

Although I think one of those godawful Thank You Cards has gas stations and restaurants as bonus categories.

Message 4 of 43
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Chase AARP has the best reward value. If you are not of typical AARP age, it comes down to whether you care about carrying around such a card. For me, I'd feel patently ridiculous swiping an AARP card while in my 20's but it depends. Some people don't care, and I say, more power to them.

It does offer 3% gas and restaurants with no cap.

How much are you spending every month on these two things, though? You have a DC for 2% everything.  An extra 1% may not be worth the app.

Message 5 of 43
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Chase AARP has the best reward value. If you are not of typical AARP age, it comes down to whether you care about carrying around such a card. For me, I'd feel patently ridiculous swiping an AARP card while in my 20's but it depends. Some people don't care, and I say, more power to them.

How much are you spending every month on these two things, though? You have a DC for 2% everything.  An extra 1% may not be worth the app.

I certainly have never felt ridiculous using my AARP credit card.

My AARP membership gets me 15% off at Outback/Carabba's/Bonefish Grill and Denny's, 10% off my AT&T, $5 off any $25 purchase at Toys R Us. I'd feel ridiculous knowing I was missing out on saving money.

And IME, chicks dig the AARP credit card. It makes you look distinguished.

Message 6 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thelethargicage wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I certainly have never felt ridiculous using my AARP credit card.

My AARP membership gets me 15% off at Outback/Carabba's/Bonefish Grill and Denny's, 10% off my AT&T, $5 off any $25 purchase at Toys R Us. I'd feel ridiculous knowing I was missing out on saving money.

And IME, chicks dig the AARP credit card. It makes you look distinguished.

Mon through Thur Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're in CA, the Golden1 CU has a 3% card that is (I think...I try not to look at it) gas, groceries and restaurants. 

Message 8 of 43
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're in CA, the Golden1 CU has a 3% card that is (I think...I try not to look at it) gas, groceries and restaurants. 

True, all three, but I'd be interested to see if someone with sub-700 got it.

side note: also 1% FTF, no AF, no BT fee, APR as low as 7.79%... I see you looking at it! Smiley Wink

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the responses guys! I wasn't getting the emails so I didn't know I had answers. LOL. I was looking at the AARP card but thought there may be a minimum age req.... I am going to try for it and see what happens!

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.