Did you mean: 

Card for Gas and Dining Out?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Card for Gas and Dining Out?

@Open123 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Chase AARP has the best reward value. If you are not of typical AARP age, it comes down to whether you care about carrying around such a card. For me, I'd feel patently ridiculous swiping an AARP card while in my 20's but it depends. Some people don't care, and I say, more power to them.

I'm with KDM on this one.  I just can't do it.  I mean, having to carry the green Fid Amex, and now this?  One can only bear so much!

"I am an authorized user on my grandfather's card"

Message 21 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm 22, and I'd have zero problem with carrying a card like this if it benefited me well. But I'm a weird one who has zero embarrassment playing my 3DS on the late night train home, so the age thing was never a factor when it came to me enjoying things.

Message 22 of 43
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm 22, and I'd have zero problem with carrying a card like this if it benefited me well. But I'm a weird one who has zero embarrassment playing my 3DS on the late night train home, so the age thing was never a factor when it came to me enjoying things.

Have you seen the Fidelity Amex close up?

Message 23 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm 24 and I couldn't care less either. Does anyone actually look at the card type anymore? Worst case they'd probably just think Im an authd user on a grandparents card.

Message 24 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you seen the Fidelity Amex close up?

Can't be worse than a lot of bank debit cards, hahaha. My stepfather has an ATM card for my mom's bank account, and it's just the logo, the words 'ATM CARD' in something similar to a Papyrus font, and it's solidly colored in the worst possible shade of blue.

Message 25 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm 24 and I couldn't care less either. Does anyone actually look at the card type anymore? Worst case they'd probably just think Im an authd user on a grandparents card.

This is an interesting point. If it was a clerk who actually did look at the card, (and you're right, most don't), I wonder if a young peep would ever run in to an issue using it because the clerk was suspicious.

Message 26 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This is an interesting point. If it was a clerk who actually did look at the card, (and you're right, most don't), I wonder if a young peep would ever run in to an issue using it because the clerk was suspicious.

They don't look at them.  I use the AARP card all the time on dining and it isn't noticed.  People don't look at any of my cards, they swipe them and move on.  They have far more important things to worry about than what the customers card looks like and says.

I don't feel weird about using it either, I could care less.  It isn't like I can't have the card and I got 100 bonus bucks and now 3% on dining.  It was worth it for me. 

Although I know a lot of people talk about the looks of cards and I could also care less how they look.  Sallie Mae is probably my ugliest card, but it has made me by far the most money Smiley Happy 

I'm 30 BTW and look about 23.  Used the card for over a year and no one has said anything. 

Message 27 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They don't look at them.  I use the AARP card all the time on dining and it isn't noticed.  People don't look at any of my cards, they swipe them and move on.  They have far more important things to worry about than what the customers card looks like and says.

I don't feel weird about using it either, I could care less.  It isn't like I can't have the card and I got 100 bonus bucks and now 3% on dining.  It was worth it for me. 

Although I know a lot of people talk about the looks of cards and I could also care less how they look.  Sallie Mae is probably my ugliest card, but it has made me by far the most money Smiley Happy 

I agree but I also wonder about using the discount card while being under 50.... (not to hijack my own thread but....)

Message 28 of 43
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

AARP just wants their membership fees. That's why they don't care if you're under 50.

Message 29 of 43
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

If you look at the T&C of any AARP discount/offer, you won't find any reference to the cardholder's age. Stop acting like Ned Flanders, people!

Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.