Card for Travel?

tag
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Card for Travel?

@red259 wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

AMEX platinum for prestidge and lounge entries and benefits

CSP to earn the trip, cash is king, sure you may be able to travel with less points, but then you have to limit your self and choices, and possibly dates, if you have the cash rewards to use. The power is yours. 

Both Amex Plat and CSP have affects when handed over to pay the bill

(I don't have a Platinum card, and don't plan on getting one unless I find someone else is going to pay my AF and travel bills). 

No they don't. Most cashiers/servers could care less and barely look at them. I see an amex plat and all I think is that I sure hope that person uses the benefits otherwise its a waste of money. Its not like its an invitation only card, anyone who wants to pay for it can get it with decent credit. It is true with cash back cards you have more flexibility in making bookings, but you will tend to get much better redemption rates with the CSP (assuming you have access to their travel partners). If your talking about premium travel then cash back cards can't compete at all. Depends on who and what you want to redeem on. 

Only cash back card that can sort of compete is the fidelity amex 2% cb on everything. You can sort of use it like an arrival+ if your spending isn't terribly high. Only drawback is it has FTF

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 21 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

CSP to earn the trip, cash is king, sure you may be able to travel with less points, but then you have to limit your self and choices, and possibly dates, if you have the cash rewards to use. The power is yours. 

(I don't have a Platinum card, and don't plan on getting one unless I find someone else is going to pay my AF and travel bills). 

No they don't. Most cashiers/servers could care less and barely look at them. I see an amex plat and all I think is that I sure hope that person uses the benefits otherwise its a waste of money. Its not like its an invitation only card, anyone who wants to pay for it can get it with decent credit. It is true with cash back cards you have more flexibility in making bookings, but you will tend to get much better redemption rates with the CSP (assuming you have access to their travel partners). If your talking about premium travel then cash back cards can't compete at all. Depends on who and what you want to redeem on. 

Only cash back card that can sort of compete is the fidelity amex 2% cb on everything. You can sort of use it like an arrival+ if your spending isn't terribly high. Only drawback is it has FTF

I think red is talking about premium travel as in 1st class international, where cash price of tickets is in the several thousand.  Even a 2% card would require a huge amount of spend (e.g. to get $5000 you would beed to spend $250K) whereas it might be say 120K points, which could be as little as $60K spend.

Message 22 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

I think red is talking about premium travel as in 1st class international, where cash price of tickets is in the several thousand.  Even a 2% card would require a huge amount of spend (e.g. to get $5000 you would beed to spend $250K) whereas it might be say 120K points, which could be as little as $60K spend.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.

Actually I managed to earn 145k points with only 15k spend 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 23 of 24
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.

Actually I managed to earn 145k points with only 15k spend 

Thats nice i only have my csp card for travel am waiting on amex to throw me the signup bonus i am looking for. Throw me an bone amex and let me get that nice 50k signup bonus with prg. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.