Frequent Contributor

Re: Card lust list!

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@destine2grow wrote:
US Bank Cash +
Amex Everyday
Barclaycard Rewards

Let's see if this list changes next week.

Why would you want the US bank Cash + and Barcla's reward card?  Doesn't the Cash + Cover what the rewards card cover and better at it?

The Rewards card has some categories that aren't covered by cash plus, such as utilities.  And with Cash Plus, you have to choose one 2% category (for say gas or groceries) whereas Rewards gives you both.

Thanks LongtimeLurker! Thats exactly why I want both cards.

Message 61 of 63
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

I just got the PRG, and it makes me feel cool. I doubt I'll spend enough to offset the annual fee, so my plan is basically to use this for the free year, then transfer my points to the ED card. Maybe pick up a BCE along the way as well. 

BCE for backdating purposes ? I am curious why you would want BCE since there are better cards out there to cover gas and groceries?

Yeah but those cards have Caps for Gas while the BCE isn't... Amex CS is one of the best and the perks alone might be a better deal then getting 2% CB with the SM ...

What's a perk from Amex that is better than SM for Gas purchases? This type of fan boy/girl loyalty baffles me. It's dollars and cents. BCE < Sallie Mae

The Extended warranty , Purchase protection ... Ill take Amex's over Master card. It is a 2%-3% difference (Groceries and Gas). yay? Amex BCE is an Amex and well the Sallie mae isn't....

To make my point simplier .... I praise Amex over losing 2-3% in CB difference, Aslo Gas is uncapped with the Amex BCE and while I dont drive i know a few people who spend more then $250 a month on gas 

I think we have talked about this many times!  Get the SM for the rewards on gas and groceries, and the Everyday for Amex protection (and if you can use MR, use Everyday for other purchaes and get 1.2 MR, or use SM and get 1%).   You don't need extended warranty or purchase protection on the vast majority of gas and grocery purchases.

And if you spend a lot on gas, you need to get a card that gives more than 2%.  (and use the SM for the first $250 anyway!)

The Everyday card isn't that good of a card unless you Value MR points .... BCE > ED for that reason unless you do value MR points for Travel or etc.    

If you go outside the bonus area, the BCE gives 1%, same as Sallie Mae.

I think your scenario is:  If you can have only one card, what should it be.    And you take the BCE for the Amex protections.

That's a sort of cost-benefit analysis, how often you need the Amex protections (and how they compare to WMC protections, which are similar on paper if not in practice) vs the loss of rewards.

Few here really can have only one, hence my suggestion of SM and Everyday.   Now if I put my expensive purchase on Everyday AND I don't use MR well, I would get a little bit more value using a BCE, but since you are willing to give up 2-3% in rewards, the 0.3% difference shouldn't be that significant, against the day when you can use MR!

On paper World MC and Amex is equal but Amex does the protection themselves vs a 3rd party which MC and Visa uses.  Having the extra year warranty on electronics is very nice considering I have now stopped buying Squaretrade warranties for my products and saves me money that way.

Other factors like Amex isn't inq sensitive like Barclays is which is why I prefer  AMex 

Don't get me wrong on pure CB the Sallie mae is a better card but I am looking at what you get in World MC vs Amex 

I think both cards ED and SM have room in your wallet. At least thats how it will be for me :-)

I already have a lot of cards which includes the ED... Do most of my groceries shopping at Costco so it is a 1% most of the time 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 62 of 63
fot1
Established Contributor

After the new year I plan to add CSP and Barclays rewards.. After that ?. US bank cash +, fidelity amex and BoA BBR all  have appeal.. Might wait and see what next years hot new card myfico'er find..lol

Too many to list..
Message 63 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.