cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card name types-Platinum, Gold, Preferred-what do they mean?

tag
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

Card name types-Platinum, Gold, Preferred-what do they mean?

I'm confused by all the types of cards out there and tatrget area.  I don't know what is good, better, or best.  Could someone please explain the differnce in types issued and basic eligibily, initial limit, benefits.  I understand rewards cards and cash back cards. It's the rest like Platinum, Gold, Silver, Preferred, Signature, Freedom, Classic, etc. I don't understand and each seem to have separate rules.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Card name types-Platinum, Gold, Preferred-what do they mean?

It depends on the lender.

They don't specifically mean anything.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 5
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Obviously lenders has its own designations.  However VISA/MC have their own "levels" that come with certain minimum requirements and benefits that cut across all visas/mc.  Although it looks like VISA might have restructured how they do things.

For VISA (I believe):

Gold, Platinum, Signature, and Infinite (only Overseas for now).

For Mastercard:

Standard, Gold, Platinum, World, World Elite

Actually just looked up VISA.  Looks like they have reworked their tiers:

Traditional, Traditional with rewards, and Signature.  Infinite is still overseas only.  Not sure where Preferred Signature fits in or is it just marketing buzz.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 5
Crashem
Valued Contributor

BTW, for those "higher" VISA/MC levels, it seems cardholders don't seem to take advantage of them as much as they should.  Probably because they don't have a "direct' relationship with VISA/MC vs. the bank that issued their card.

Things like events, VISA/MC Concierge, Hotel programs, and that the purchase protection stuff like free extended warranty, theft/damage protection, etc.).

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Freedom is just a Chase card.  It's not a tier.

@Reighn9 wrote:

Could someone please explain the differnce in types issued and basic eligibily, initial limit, benefits.

They're not always universal.  Eligibility, initial limit and benefits can vary.  With some digging you can find benefits provided by the network (Visa or MasterCard) on the payment network's own site.  For specific card benefits you'd have to verify directly with the company issuing the card.

@Reighn9 wrote:

I understand rewards cards and cash back cards. It's the rest like Platinum, Gold, Silver, Preferred, Signature, Freedom, Classic, etc.

They're not mutually exclusive.  A rewards or cash back card can be any of the latter as well.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.