Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card offering priority deplaning

tag
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Re: Card offering priority deplaning

The problem is airlines charging a fee for checked luggage.  It takes people forever to shove their overfilled carry on luggage into the bins then again to try to pull it out when the flight lands.  Plus, with overhead space filling up, there are people who have to use space behind where their seat is and that causes problems upon landing.  I wish airlines would allow free checked luggage and charge for a suitcase sized carry on.  

I'll be flying for Thanksgiving and am thankful that my originating and final destination is a very small airport.  There will be less than 20 people on those flights.  It's the connection coming home from Pittsburgh to Charlotte that makes me nervous - I pick an isle seat as close to the front of the plane as possible.  

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 21 of 27
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

Many airlines already do this sort of thing by charging passengers extra for certain seats (isle, window, emergency exit rows, etc.) .

I didn't know that. Any links?

Some airlines (such as UA) offer paid annual subscriptions for E+.

Such as this one for frequent flyers?

Message 22 of 27
john398
Senior Contributor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

The problem is airlines charging a fee for checked luggage.  It takes people forever to shove their overfilled carry on luggage into the bins then again to try to pull it out when the flight lands.  Plus, with overhead space filling up, there are people who have to use space behind where their seat is and that causes problems upon landing.  I wish airlines would allow free checked luggage and charge for a suitcase sized carry on.  

I'll be flying for Thanksgiving and am thankful that my originating and final destination is a very small airport.  There will be less than 20 people on those flights.  It's the connection coming home from Pittsburgh to Charlotte that makes me nervous - I pick an isle seat as close to the front of the plane as possible.  

I rather noit fly regional jets with 20 or less people

Message 23 of 27
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@too-much-time wrote:

Don't see any links stating this but United's exit row seats are Economy Plus.

Quick Google search (don't overlook this tool) yields this as a first hit:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/travel/window-aisle-seat-charge/

Message 24 of 27
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@kimmiller112 wrote:

I rather noit fly regional jets with 20 or less people

I once flew Cape Air from Marion, IL to St. Louis, MO. The plane was so small that we got weighed while checking in, lol. It was such a blast that Hyannis, MA to Nantucket soon followed. Deplaning was not an issue!

Message 25 of 27
dubsnpugs

You could always work on your status with airlines such as Delta.  As a Medallion (Gold or higher) you get priority security line, priority boarding, priority baggage as well as comfort select seats which are typically the 3 rows behind first class.  So that means you get through security faster, you board faster, deplane faster, and get your bags faster (ohh and they are free).  Add a delta reserve AMEX to it and you can add club benefits and tons of possible upgrades.  It really is something you have to work towards, not really something a card alone with allow, not even the AMEX reserve at a $450 annual fee (but at least the miles boost helps with MQM and maintaining status without having to fly every week).

Message 26 of 27
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@too-much-time wrote:

Don't see any links stating this but United's exit row seats are Economy Plus.

Quick Google search (don't overlook this tool) yields this as a first hit:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/travel/window-aisle-seat-charge/

Between there and here I noticed the $29/$59 fees by airlines such as Delta, which prompted me to check a two ticket Delta reservation I made a few months ago for next summer. Both, in the front of economy and including by the window, thankfully still stand. I wouldn't be surprised if having the Delta card came into play. Take a look at for instance this "unpublished benefit – but one that has been confirmed by Delta – for Delta Amex cardholders, who get access to additional low-level award availability."

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.