Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card's earning SPG points?

tag
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

Card's earning SPG points?

I already have a SPG business card, had a personal card that I closed about 4 months ago, looking for the next best card with a signup bonus that will make it worthwhile to transfer to SPG. Can be either business or personal. Is there still a 100k PRG offer and is the AF due on opening? SPG points are worth 2.9CPP to me.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Card's earning SPG points?

@revvystoke wrote:

I already have a SPG business card, had a personal card that I closed about 4 months ago, looking for the next best card with a signup bonus that will make it worthwhile to transfer to SPG. Can be either business or personal. Is there still a 100k PRG offer and is the AF due on opening? SPG points are worth 2.9CPP to me.

From what I recall the transfer value of MRs to SPG is really lousy. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@revvystoke wrote:

+1

Unless you value MR points at under 1 cent each, transferring MR points to SPG would not make sense. While I love SPG points, I don't think any reasonable valuation places 3 MR points at 1 SPG point. Occasionally MR offers bonuses up to 50% for SPG transfers. At that point it might make sense if you are a die hard SPG f anatic, but for most people even a 2 to 1 ratio is not worth it. 

As far as 100k PRG bonus, the more common 100k bonus is for the Plat, but it is only available when you are targeted. The PRG usually have a 25k bonus with targeted 50k and 75k offers (not heard of 100k, but I could have missed it when it was offered). The 75k PRG bonus is very rare, though a link to the 50k offer was going around not too long ago. I believe Diners club rewards allows transfers to SPG at a 0.6 SPG points per Diners point, but their applications are currently closed. 

Unfortunately SPG points are by far the hardest to accumulate. This makes them often a less useful choice for general spend than UR and MR cards that have categorical bonuses since most SPG cards (other than Diners that suffers from 40% point loss on transfer) are just 1x point cards for all non-SPG spend. This makes bonus category spends like restaurants/travel better on say the CSP for UR points or groceries and gas better on the EDP for MR points. While I love SPG points, I canceled my SPG Amex a while ago because I could not justify placing a lot of spend on it at 1x points. Given your 2.9 cpp valuation of SPG points though it might make sense to put general non-bonus category spend (that you can't get 2 MR or UR points for) on the SPG Amex over a 2% cash card like the Double Cash or Fidelity Amex. 

Message 3 of 7
IWOL
Established Contributor

@revvystoke wrote:

Transfreing MR to SPG is a terrible value at 3 for 1. The only other card that can earn SPG points is Diners Club. No sign up bonus but if you use the Diners in the 3x categories you can earn 1.8 SPG point per $1 which is almost double the SPG card itself.

Ofcourse apps are closed for Diners now but might open in the future.

Message 4 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

@revvystoke wrote:

Transfreing MR to SPG is a terrible value at 3 for 1. The only other card that can earn SPG points is Diners Club. No sign up bonus but if you use the Diners in the 3x categories you can earn 1.8 SPG point per $1 which is almost double the SPG card itself.

Ofcourse apps are closed for Diners now but might open in the future.

The other factor that most regular people should look at is the high AF for that particular DC card. 300 AF is pretty hard to take when you are getting no signup bonus at all.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 7
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@revvystoke wrote:

+1

Unless you value MR points at under 1 cent each, transferring MR points to SPG would not make sense. While I love SPG points, I don't think any reasonable valuation places 3 MR points at 1 SPG point. Occasionally MR offers bonuses up to 50% for SPG transfers. At that point it might make sense if you are a die hard SPG f anatic, but for most people even a 2 to 1 ratio is not worth it. 

As far as 100k PRG bonus, the more common 100k bonus is for the Plat, but it is only available when you are targeted. The PRG usually have a 25k bonus with targeted 50k and 75k offers (not heard of 100k, but I could have missed it when it was offered). The 75k PRG bonus is very rare, though a link to the 50k offer was going around not too long ago. I believe Diners club rewards allows transfers to SPG at a 0.6 SPG points per Diners point, but their applications are currently closed. 

Unfortunately SPG points are by far the hardest to accumulate. This makes them often a less useful choice for general spend than UR and MR cards that have categorical bonuses since most SPG cards (other than Diners that suffers from 40% point loss on transfer) are just 1x point cards for all non-SPG spend. This makes bonus category spends like restaurants/travel better on say the CSP for UR points or groceries and gas better on the EDP for MR points. While I love SPG points, I canceled my SPG Amex a while ago because I could not justify placing a lot of spend on it at 1x points. Given your 2.9 cpp valuation of SPG points though it might make sense to put general non-bonus category spend (that you can't get 2 MR or UR points for) on the SPG Amex over a 2% cash card like the Double Cash or Fidelity Amex. 

I transfer my SPG points to airlines, at 1:1.25 redemption with their 5k mile bonus for every 20k I transfer. I am just looking for a card that offers a decent bonus that is transferrable to SPG points. I don't have any other use for MR points.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 6 of 7
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@revvystoke wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@revvystoke wrote:

+1

I transfer my SPG points to airlines, at 1:1.25 redemption with their 5k mile bonus for every 20k I transfer. I am just looking for a card that offers a decent bonus that is transferrable to SPG points. I don't have any other use for MR points.

i would say wait for 35k signup bonus for spg cards, there no signup bonus for DC cards

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.