Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card suggestions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card suggestions

I am a looking to do some apping but just cant really decide on which cards to apply for. My TU FICO is 761 with the following accounts:

AU on Discover Card, opened 01'

AU on American Express, Gold, opened 82'

Primary on Cap1 Card, opened October 10'

Fed Student Loan for $2,500, opened September 09'

AAoA= 8 years

Only 1 inq on the report

My score is with util of 76% but that will be zero since I just paid the balances to 0, so I would expect a slight increase in scores.
I know some companies are senstive to AUs and my score is driven by them mostly. I'd like some cards with decent cash back and high CLs. I am a student and work part time. What do you guys suggest?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Amnesia87
Contributor

Re: Card suggestions

What kind of balance do you have on the Cap1?

One card I would recommend is the Citi Forward, at least if the rewards suit you, I know they were perfect for me. 5x points on Movies Music Books and Restaurants (which includes fast food and works for some bars, oh, and Amazon is considered a book store so... eh?) and 1x points everywhere else.

I also am really loving my Blue Cash Preferred, and the rewards match really well with the Forward, 6% back on supermarkets, 3% on department stores and gas, 1% back everywhere else, but that's going to be a harder card to get with limited credit history (I understand your AAoA, but I'm not sure how that would actually factor in with Amex since they use their own scoring system)

You may also want to look into CU cards if you want to get some decent limits, I'm going for PSECU and Alliant myself, but theres always lots of good things to be said about Penfed as well. If you are eligable, I would definately say get an NFCU account, they are supposed to be one of the best CU and give great limits.

You could also consider USAA, though they seem to be a bit hit or miss, my card hasn't grown much, but I know several peoples who have grown alot.

The other card that I have is Discover, which is a great card, but a bit conservative on CL, and the caps on the bonus rewards are quite low (though still definately worth using.)

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.