cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card to pair with Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC? United Explorer vs Chase Sapphire Preferred

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card to pair with Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC? United Explorer vs Chase Sapphire Preferred

I currently have a Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite MasterCard that works very well for me. In my new job I travel once a month and have to pay for airfare, hotel, etc., out of my personal funds before getting reimbursed later. Racking up points on the Barclaycard is great but ties up a decent chunk of my credit limit while I wait for reimbursement.

I've been looking at getting a second card exclusively for work travel. The travel is always on the same route and United offers direct flights (I'd prefer American since I have Gold status there, but that requires a layover). I've been comparing the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and the United MileagePlus Explorer card. The Chase Sapphire is the better overall card, but I feel like it duplicates what I have with my Barclaycard. The United card gives me nice perks like a free checked bag and priority boarding, but earns less points for non-airfare purchases and locks me in to United.

Most likely I'll get the Chase Sapphire card. I would like to hear other people's experiences with both and maybe a suggestion for another card besides those two that would be good to pair with the Barclaycard. Keep in mind this second card would exclusively be used for work travel - my usual household expenses, bills, etc., would still go to the Barclaycard.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Card to pair with Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC? United Explorer vs Chase Sapphire Preferred

You can transfer UR points from the CSP to United. Or, you can try for the Ink Plus, or both. I would start with CSP, they do have the 5:24 rule.

Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.