Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card with restaurant bonus?

tag
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Re: Card with restaurant bonus?

@mattayy wrote:

I just called barclay and asked if it was possible to upgrade my card to a different card and they said that at this time there isn't anything available but that it can change within 30-60 days and to call back then? Has anyone heard of the barclay rewards mc PC to anything else? 

I've seen posts about it being changed to a Sallie Mae (with tons of work calling and pleading).  And I know for a fact now it can go to an Arrival.  Aside from those two I don't know of any other successful PC's. 

How long have you had the Rewards MC?

Message 11 of 45
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

I've only had it for about 9 months and I want to PC to the arrival. Should I call back and just say that and see if they will do it? 

EQ: 584 TU: 615 EX: 612

Cap 1 Williams Sonoma Visa $3.5k limit, Walmart MC $2k limit, American Express Platinum $2K limit, Venmo Visa $900 limit, Credit One Amex $700 limit, Credit One Visa $400 limit, Kohls $300 limit, Target RedCard $300 limit, Living Spaces $1k limit, Amazon $400 limit, Jcrew $450 limit, US Bank $300 limit
Message 12 of 45
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

@mattayy wrote:

I know my scores aren't the best but I want to app for a card that gets extra points or cash back for dining out. Chase offers a few and that's kind of what I am leaning towards but I don't think I will get approved at this time. When I do apply which card should I get? 

• Costco Amex - 2% on restaurants
  • Chase Amazon Visa - 2% on restaurants
  • Citi TY Preferred/Premier - 2X points on dining and entertainment (love their liberal definitions of dining and entertainment...unfortunately, TY points ain't worth much)
  • Chase CSP - 2X points on dining and **insert requisite comment about UR points being worth more than 1 cent if transferred to travel partners** (useless if you don't travel)

Excellent suggestions!

OP, I don't think your scores are up where they need to be for these cards yet.   If you find the Sony Rewards program useful at all (some find it too limited for their purposes), the Sony Card offers 3X points on dining, and you'd probably qualify for that with your current scores.  However, since that's backed by Cap One, they HP all CRs.

Not certain on that; if he's had the tradelines for at least a year, and that myFICO EQ pull is recent, he has a reasonable shot at a Chase Freedom which still has a restaurant bonus and is often a gateway card to the Amazon / CSP later if needed... and if he can get that, there's a non-zero chance he can get a Costco Amex which isn't that much higher.  

If it were me, I'd probably go Freedom like now (and pick up the last month and a half of restaurants at 5%, or the Quicksilver, see below) and then wait six months and take the shot at Costco in November for future use and Amex backdating purposes.

The other option would be a Capital One Quicksilver which is a flat 1.5% which doesn't suck at all and can be qualified for (or the QS One, $39 AF) at this strata.

        
Message 13 of 45
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@mattayy wrote:

I've only had it for about 9 months and I want to PC to the arrival. Should I call back and just say that and see if they will do it? 

You can certainly try, the worst they can say is no.  I had mine a year and 3 months today, not sure how much that matters but I called to upgrade a 9 month old Rewards Visa and he said I had nothing available as well...

Message 14 of 45
fungoman
Regular Contributor

OP - just out of curiosity, why are your scores so low? I saw your CLD with Macy's thread, and you have a good income. Whats the deal?

Message 15 of 45
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

I just got my job this year, money hasn't always been coming in like it is now. I have a charge off from cap 1 from 2008 and two medical bills sent to collections only $100 and $300 ones from 2009. I was 19 and just didn't care about credit or even realize the impact it would have later on in life. 

Cap 1 Williams Sonoma Visa $3.5k limit, Walmart MC $2k limit, American Express Platinum $2K limit, Venmo Visa $900 limit, Credit One Amex $700 limit, Credit One Visa $400 limit, Kohls $300 limit, Target RedCard $300 limit, Living Spaces $1k limit, Amazon $400 limit, Jcrew $450 limit, US Bank $300 limit
Message 16 of 45
watch44
Frequent Contributor

@EndlessRoad wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@mattayy wrote:

I wonder if I could upgrade my barclay rewards card? 

It wouldn't hurt to ask if you could PC.  The worst they could say is "no"

OP I'm not sure you could do the Arrival since they dropped all platinum offerings of it (according to my csr) that means you'd have to have a CL of at least 5k to get the no AF version of the Arrival.  Still definitely worth a call since you never know what they tell you is accurate or not. 

Oh man, that's it, I'm coming out of the garden for the Arrival. World MC or bust!

(Hover over pics for details) 
FICO:  TU 731 (05/14/14)   EX 749 (04/24/14)   EQ 684 (02/05/14)   Goal 700
FAKO:  TU 761 (05/20/14)   EX 761 (05/20/14)   EQ 743 (05/20/14)
Message 17 of 45
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@watch44 wrote:

@EndlessRoad wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@mattayy wrote:

I wonder if I could upgrade my barclay rewards card? 

It wouldn't hurt to ask if you could PC.  The worst they could say is "no"

OP I'm not sure you could do the Arrival since they dropped all platinum offerings of it (according to my csr) that means you'd have to have a CL of at least 5k to get the no AF version of the Arrival.  Still definitely worth a call since you never know what they tell you is accurate or not. 

Oh man, that's it, I'm coming out of the garden for the Arrival. World MC or bust!

Cant wait to get mine in the mail...just hoping its chipped Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 45
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

I just called and they switched it to the arrival! woo!!! 

Message 19 of 45
mattayy
Frequent Contributor

Second time was the charm Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.