Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Card with the best rental car benefits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Card with the best rental car benefits

Are there any good cards that provide discounts on car rentals? 

I know that most cards have car rental insurance, but I am talking about free upgrades, free rentals, etc., other benefits. 

I know that Amex Platinum automatically enrolls you in the car rental agency's preferred customer program, but when I looked into that, it seems like that's not much of a benefit -- just renting once from those companies is enough to get that same status. Unless I'm missing something.

What about other cards?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: Card with the best rental car benefits

@Anonymous wrote:

Are there any good cards that provide discounts on car rentals? 

I know that most cards have car rental insurance, but I am talking about free upgrades, free rentals, etc., other benefits. 

I know that Amex Platinum automatically enrolls you in the car rental agency's preferred customer program, but when I looked into that, it seems like that's not much of a benefit -- just renting once from those companies is enough to get that same status. Unless I'm missing something.

What about other cards?

I'd love to get some responses as well. All I know is that Discover runs 5% promo on ground transportation (e.g. this quarter itself); so did Citi with its Dividend. Car rental is a 5% category on Cash+.

Back when ShopDiscover was on, Discover used to give some good deals especially 5% CB on Enterprise. 

Visa's own portal as well as Upromise (and other portals like BeFrugal etc) have some discount coupons that I regularly use, mostly for Avis / Budget. I'm more of a weekend renter so my responses might not match the needs of weekday renters. However Avis and Budget have some good 3rd weekend day free deals; Budget got it's Budget bucks stuff, and Enterprise got its $9.99/day/100 miles weekend special. Works well for me. 

Also because I rent weekends, I often end up getting (without asking) free upgrades. I mostly book compact; and I've got a Beetle, Fiat 500, Ford Fusion, Mitsubishi Lancer, Ford Escape, and even a Buick Regal without an extra penny. Or using an upgrade voucher. Doesn't happen every day though Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I am only aware of Discover. You get 5% on ground transportation, including rentals, this quarter. They also have a coupon on Discover Deals for up to 25% of at National.
Message 3 of 5
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

US Bank Cash + has rental cars as one of their 5% categories.

Amex Plat offers Emerald Club Executive status.  I find it to be a true benefit.   You reserve a mid size vehicle, and can choose any car in the Executive aisle.  

Executive Area Access

Choose any car (Fullsize and above) on the Executive Area and only pay the Midsize rate.

Message 4 of 5
TURNERHOOVER
Established Contributor

D-I-S-C-O-V-E-R

EX 727 | EQ 720 | TU 740

FREEDOM 4.5k | BCP 9.5k | DISCOVER 2.5k | ARRIVAL+ 7.5k | RITZ CARLTON 15k
No new Apps till Dec 2016
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.