cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards I should consider for travel points for upcome trip?

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Cards I should consider for travel points for upcome trip?

Ok, I need your expertise please!

My daughter is taking a study abroad course with her university for 3 weeks in late may to mid june 2016.  They will be traveling to Gaborone, Botswana Sir Serete Khama International Airport.  I could use some help to consider cards that would offer a sign up bonus to cover one or both of the flights.  Not sure of the details yet, but I assume she will fly out of Cleveland International Airport.

Thanks!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Cards I should consider for travel points for upcome trip?

I am unsure if any of the flights that Amex/Chase partnered with could be transferred to partners that fly international. I'm not sure that is.

My suggestions would be Barclay's Arrvial(+) or Venture(One) either or. I recommended these because the points can be used for travel purchases. It's easy to redeem. And they have signup bonuses for roughly ~$400 worth of credits.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 14
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
I am unsure if any of the flights that Amex/Chase partnered with could be transferred to partners that fly international. I'm not sure that is.

My suggestions would be Barclay's Arrvial(+) or Venture(One) either or. I recommended these because the points can be used for travel purchases. It's easy to redeem. And they have signup bonuses for roughly ~$400 worth of credits.

Thank you! I will take a look.

I checked with British Airways and they fly out of Chicago O'hare but not out of Cleveland.  I know we are responsible for the airfare but I am unsure how the university will require booking it. It is a little way away to plan but I just want to begin my research for this now so I will be somewhat prepared.

Thanks Skye!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 3 of 14
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:

Sign up bonus for the Venture One is $200 in credits, the Venture is the one that gives $400. Also with the Venture after you meet the $3k minimum spend, you end up with 46k miles which is $460 in travel credit.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get one with no foreign transaction fee.
Message 5 of 14
jacetx
Valued Contributor

The Venture card has not foreign transaction fee.

Message 6 of 14
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does that matter when purchasing international air fare?  I have Cap1 QS which I believe does not have fees.

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 7 of 14
jacetx
Valued Contributor

OP, see the explanation below. Currently a round trip to Gaborone is around $1.6k. This is for the Venture card.

If you want to cover the whole trip:

Spend for signup bonus: $3k        gives you                     46000 = $460 travel

Extra spend to cover trip: $57k     gives you                   114000 = $1140 travel

160000 = $1600 total

If you want to cover half of the trip:

Spend for signup bonus: $3k        gives you                     46000 = $460 travel

Extra spend to cover trip: $17k     gives you                     34000 = $340 travel

80000 = $800 total

So, in other words you would have to spend $60k to cover the trip, or $20k to cover half. I don't think there are any current sign up bonuses that will cover either the whole trip or half.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BluePoodle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Does that matter when purchasing international air fare?  I have Cap1 QS which I believe does not have fees.

Doesn't sound like OP is traveling with daughter so FTF doesn't matter unless he's sending a card with her.  OP what about Chase Sapphire Prefered? I know you can transfer the points to British Airways and it looks like you already have a relationship based on a few of your other cards?

Message 9 of 14
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Doesn't sound like OP is traveling with daughter so FTF doesn't matter unless he's sending a card with her.  OP what about Chase Sapphire Prefered? I know you can transfer the points to British Airways and it looks like you already have a relationship based on a few of your other cards?

Still the signup bonus for any card does not make sense considering that OP will be paying way more than $1.6k to get it. The CSP minimum spend is $4k. I'm assuming the whole point is to save money? 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.