Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards That Do/Do Not Report CL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cards That Do/Do Not Report CL

Hi All,

Just wondering if there is a list anywhere showing which cards do and do not report CL to EQ/TU/EX.

Since I am using cards specifically to improve my credit scores, I don't want to waste my time applying for a card that is going to end up hurting rather than helping my util.

I've seen a couple of threads about Signature cards not reporting, but which other cards don't?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cards That Do/Do Not Report CL

The CITI World Master Card might or might not report a CL or a high balance. When no CL is reporting, FICO then looks to see if a "highest balance" is reporting. If a CC doesn't have a CL and a highest balance reporting, the card will not factor in FICO revolving utilization calculations. Here is how my CITI World MC reports on my reports:

EQ: reports CL and balance, but no highest balance (factoring in FICO util scoring)

EX: no CL, but reports highest balance and balance (factoring in FICO util scoring)

TU: no CL or a high balance, but reports just the balance (not factoring in FICO util scoring)

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's and Bloomingdales do not report credit limits.

Message 3 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Macy's and Bloomingdales do not report credit limits.

on store cards, the visa does report CL.

USbank Signature cards do report CL.

Chase Signature cards do not report CL

Message 4 of 15
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@fused wrote:

When no CL is reporting, FICO then looks to see if a "highest balance" is reporting.

EX: no CL, but reports highest balance and balance (factoring in FICO util scoring)

I thought only TU98 uses the high balance for util. It's not so? Smiley Wink

@Megan2992 wrote:

Since I am using cards specifically to improve my credit scores, I don't want to waste my time applying for a card that is going to end up hurting rather than helping my util.

A card whose credit limit or high balance is not used for util will also not use the monthly balance for util, so it's not hurting your util. It may however hurt your score in other ways, I don't know.

Let's say you have two cards. Card A has a $10,000 credit limit that's not used for util. Card B has a $100 credit limit that is used for util. The monthly balance for card A is $2,500, and the monthly balance for card B is $1.

As such, your overall util is 1%, which is very good. But I suspect card A's monthly balance may somehow affect your score nevertheless.

Message 5 of 15
RozBuds
Regular Contributor

Of the cards I have Neiman Marcus and Macy's don't report credit limits just high balance.

Message 6 of 15
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

My Macys store card reports neither a credit limit or high balance.

Message 7 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

@fused wrote:

When no CL is reporting, FICO then looks to see if a "highest balance" is reporting.

I thought only TU98 uses the high balance for util. It's not so? Smiley Wink

All three FICO scores look to the "highest balance" when a CL isn't reporting. 

Message 8 of 15
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@fused wrote:
All three FICO scores look to the "highest balance" when a CL isn't reporting.

You wouldn't by any chance be thinking of a card, whose account type is revolving, its high balance is reported, but not its credit limit? I imagine the situation doesn't exist, so in a sense you can say the high balance is always used for util, except it would never get a chance to come to that.

DW and I share three card accounts. A Signature Visa of account type open with a credit limit that doesn't report and a reported high balance that EQ won't touch for util, but that TU 98 will and does. The second is a Citi World MC of account type revolving which reports neither the credit limit nor the high balance. The third and last is an Amex credit card of account type revolving which reports both the credit limit and the high balance.

Message 9 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Cards reported as "open" accounts do not factor in util calculations with EQ, EX and TU 04. That said, "open" accounts do factor in util calculations with TU 98. I'm my earlier post, I was referring to card accounts that are reporting as revolving and not card accounts reporting as "open" card accounts.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.