Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards based on Score

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Cards based on Score

If you attempt to settle this account for less than the due balance it will most likely continue to report on your CBR until the fall off date with a derogatory comment. Settled accounts are bad. Plus, if the account is still with the OC you may get a 1099 form for the amount you settle away.
Message 11 of 17
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Hi CWCID...that's why I specified pay (or settle...) for delete. If no delete...then no pay, as far as I'm concerned, for precisely the reasons you mention.
Message 12 of 17
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:
Hi CWCID...that's why I specified pay (or settle...) for delete. If no delete...then no pay, as far as I'm concerned, for precisely the reasons you mention.

Even if you settle for delete the OC is supposed to (by law) send you a 1099 for the benefit of the bargain. It is income.
Message 13 of 17
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@LynetteM wrote:
Even if you settle for delete the OC is supposed to (by law) send you a 1099 for the benefit of the bargain. It is income.

Hi CWCID...I realize that. But...if you are saving money on the pay for delete by settling...then, paying tax on the difference between the amount due and the settled-for amount is still cheaper than paying the full amount. You would only be paying a portion of the forgiven amount instead of the full amount.

And...at this point...if it is close to falling off, I wouldn't mess with it at all unless I could get it deleted for good.

Message 14 of 17
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

I have clean reports with average age of account around 7.8 months and oldest account clocking in at 27.4 years. My FICO is TU 714 and EQ at 690 and was just approved for the Harley Davidson Rewards Visa card with a CL of $4,000. APR is 13.99%.....no annual fee. I wanted to have another rewards card in my wallet and after I was solicited by HD for the card (they sent me a promo offer in my monthly statement for my motorcycle), I decided to apply. Was turned down initially but called CSR and had the card in hand in 5 days. Not sure what all of the deciding factors is for approval but the CSR did tell me that US Bank (card issuer) looks at more than just your FICO score....US Bank pulled Experian which it's anyone's guess as to what that score is since you can't get it anymore other than the FAKO kind.....freecrditreport.com is showing my FAKO Experian at 764 which doesn't really mean anything to me.
Message 15 of 17
terrymurph
Regular Contributor

I have tried a PFD and having it re-aged as paid as agreed and an intent to sue letter. They have turned down the first PFD and RE-age offers. So now i am preparing to take them to small claims court for laws the have broken and their illegal debt collection practices.
Eq WAS 500+ three years ago NOW IM 683 and Trans WAS ALSO 500+ NOW IM SITTING AT 710
700 You better be on the LOOK OUT(OOPS GUESS THEY WEREN'T LOOKING CAUSE I ALREADY MADE IT YAAAAYYYYYYYY)
Message 16 of 17
terrymurph
Regular Contributor

Thanks IrishPM  for the helpful information.
Eq WAS 500+ three years ago NOW IM 683 and Trans WAS ALSO 500+ NOW IM SITTING AT 710
700 You better be on the LOOK OUT(OOPS GUESS THEY WEREN'T LOOKING CAUSE I ALREADY MADE IT YAAAAYYYYYYYY)
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.