cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards for limited history

tag
runaway6

Cards for limited history

I was hoping to get recommendations on a good card choice for someone with a limited history. The rub is the card I have is pretty good (Navy Signature Visa), so I don't want to drag my score down by adding a subprime type card, but would like to have another card, just to build history. Navy card is 9 months old if that matters. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Cards for limited history

@runaway6 wrote:

I was hoping to get recommendations on a good card choice for someone with a limited history. The rub is the card I have is pretty good (Navy Signature Visa), so I don't want to drag my score down by adding a subprime type card, but would like to have another card, just to build history. Navy card is 9 months old if that matters. 

Welcome to the forum 

In order to help you better do you mind sharing your credit profile?

Any baddies, AAoA, INQ"s other cards, etc etc 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
runaway6

Nothing bad, just not much of anything period, you know? My only credit acct is with Navy Fed and it is 9 months old. A mortgage that is 5 years old (if that counts towards average age of accounts). On time payments. No inquiries, other than whatever Navy used when opening the account, was wanting to hold off until I had a good idea what direction I should go. Thanks!
Message 3 of 7
thecentury303
New Contributor

Are you student? If so, my credit cards journey might be helpful to you.

Capital One Cash Rewards for New Comer: $1,500 (09/12), Local Credit Union: $1,500 (10/12), Chase Freedom: $1,500 (04/13), Discover IT: $2,100 (04/13), AMEX Gold Charge Card: NPSL (06/13), AMEX BCE: $6,000 (06/13), Chase United Explorer: $6,000 (10/13), Chase Ink Cash: $3,000 (10/13), Barclays Arrival Platinum: $3,000 (10/13), US Bank Flexperk Travel Rewards: $5,000 (01/14), Capital One Venture: $5,000 (01/14), Citi AA World MC: $6,500 (01/14),Citi AA Executive World Elite MC: $5,000 (01/14)
Message 4 of 7
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

I'm assuming your scores are in good shape right, Also what type of cards are you interested in? Rewards, Travel, Casback? Any specific bank that has your interest?

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 5 of 7
runaway6

I'm not a student, and not really picky about rewards. The Navy card is cash rewards, and has a 12,000 limit, so I don't really have a pressing need for another card. I know that most cc companies aren't as generous as Navy, however, so I want to do what is best to establish good credit now, which, I think, besides making on time payments, and keeping my utilization low, would be getting one (or two) additional cards. Thanks.
Message 6 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@runaway6 wrote:
I'm not a student, and not really picky about rewards. The Navy card is cash rewards, and has a 12,000 limit, so I don't really have a pressing need for another card. I know that most cc companies aren't as generous as Navy, however, so I want to do what is best to establish good credit now, which, I think, besides making on time payments, and keeping my utilization low, would be getting one (or two) additional cards. Thanks.

Imho 

I think you could apply with any of the top lenders and have good results based on what you have told usSmiley Happy

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.