Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards getting the Axe in 2014?

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cards getting the Axe in 2014?

@benandjerry wrote:

Probably my CapOne secured card. It only has a limit of $850, and hardly use it. AF is due in march and will axe it just before.

Been good to build credit, but now it's "so long, and thanks for the fish!"

And remember, when you close it, "don't panic." Smiley Wink

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 31 of 66
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Plan is to close my 2 rebuilder/secured cards - Cap1 Platinum & First Progress - before their 2014 "anniversary" (a.k.a. AF) dates.  Hope is to replace them with 2-3 more prime cards, such as the CSP, Freedom, Discover IT or maybe another AmEx or Barclay (Arrival). 

I was considering closing out my Wally card since the rewards payback is essentially non-existent....but decided to see how much it'll grow & even hoping for a Discover conversion eventually....so, we'll see.  My other 2 "toy" cards are actually useful for us as we do shop at both on a fairly regular basis & their rewards programs are relatively decent.  Hopefully GECRB will be generous this coming year as far as CLIs go......

Anyway, Happy New Year to everyone on this board.....here's to a prosperous 2014 full of rewards, generous CLI's & prime card offers!    Smiley Happy

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 32 of 66
swpopham
Established Contributor

I'm pretty sure we will chop Amex for the last time. I'm tired of the benefits getting cut. The af seems like it gets higher and the service getting worse. 

PRG and BCP 

with nfcu I think the flagship cards going to get the axe and I'll combine the 25k limits of the 2 cash rewards cards we have.

with chase Im thinking about axing the ink cash plus card

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 33 of 66
theBeardedNerd
Regular Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I plan on closing both of my Cap1 Credit Cards, Bloomingdales, Wal-Mart, and Jared's (after paying off my fiancee engagement ring). They have served their purpose in helping me rebuild my credit.

Just wondering if you are closing both of the cap one quicksliver what is your everyday card gonna be? do you run more then 10k thru the navy card? How does that card work?

I plan on using my Amex BCE as my everyday card, as well as my Navy Fed. I figured that my Amex and Navy Fed will grow much quicker than both of Cap1 QS, plus they both AF's.

Currently in My Wallet:

Auto Loan:

Personal Line of Credit:

Future Credit Cards:

Message 34 of 66
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Don't have it so I don't know, what has been cut on the PRG?

Message 35 of 66
Mrjstics
Valued Member

Open sky secured credit card! No need to have a card with annual fee since I should qualify for better cards in 2014.

Personal: Macys(300), Amazon Rewards Visa(500), Barclay NFL(1250), Havertys(2000), NFCU Sig(14,000), NFCU Go Rewards(14,000)

Business: Cap One Sparks(1500)
Message 36 of 66
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@longtimelurker wrote:

Wasn't aware of any benefits getting cut on the PRG

Message 37 of 66
toppers555
Established Contributor

Well I been thinking about this for last month or so as I get rid of fat in my credit portfilio and here is my 3 list so far . 

In the chair:

citi bestbuy (5k)

Stay of execution:

Discover IT (1k) Feb will make one year if no cli it gets the chair.

Walmart(3k) I have had it fir while but no use

Men's Warehouse (5k) 5% saving is meh with the insanse apr I would not buy a new suit on it unless pif next month

cash rewards(3k). depends on if I get upgraded to cash plus next month.

On trial: 

Sam Club(8.5)

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 38 of 66
swpopham
Established Contributor

We downgraded from the platinum to the prg after they lost the aiirline lounges

"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 39 of 66
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Wasn't aware of any benefits getting cut on the PRG

Maybe he meant the platinum?

"The Platinum Card® from American Express

• A few (very nice) Centurion Lounges may not make up for losing over 50 American / US Airways lounges

American Admirals Club and US Airways Club access will end for Platinum Card holders on March 22, 2014. This is a big loss if you hold the $450 a year card as lounge access will only include Delta SkyClubs among the big U.S. airline networks, as United / Continental access ended in 2011.

• Priority Pass benefits will remain, which gives you lots of global options and access to Alaska Airlines Board Rooms. But losing American and US Airways takes away about half of the domestic lounges the card used to offer.
  • To compensate, Amex is opening very niceCenturion Lounges with full access for Platinum Card holders. The first are at the Las Vegas and Dallas airports, with more to come at New York – La Guardia, San Francisco Terminal 3, and others. With  hot meals and premium liquor all at no extra cost they are the nicest lounges in the U.S. – by far -(take a look at the menu). But it’s hard to make up for the loss of over 50 lounges overnight.
  • Amex is also not making many friends by keeping the annual fee at $450. It still offers a $200 travel credit you can use for incidental fees on any single airline of your choice each year. That choice can be American Airlines and it can be used to offset the cost of Admirals Club membership. Some big spenders, especially those who spend a lot on American Airlines purchases with their Amex cards, are being offered bigger credits as a one-time gesture – up to $500. It might be worth calling Amex to complain and see what you’re offered.
  • Going forward the only credit card with access to American Admirals Clubs will be the Citi Executive AAdvantage® MasterCard, which runs $450 per year. As of December 2013 it is offering a 60,000 mile introductory bonus.
  • Still, The Platinum Card® offers access to more lounges for card members than any other, even after the change.
  • If you don’t value the lounge access anymore, but want more Membership Rewards points consider The Premier  Rewards Gold Card, which earns points faster than The Platinum Card® thanks to bonuses in spending categories."
Message 40 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.