Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards on the chopping block

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Cards on the chopping block

Every month or so I take a look @ my CC portfolio and freshen things up with CLI's and rewards calculations etc.  Today I decided to finally get rid of some leeches and suckers.  I'm going to close an old Credit One card, just realized that I have been paying over a $100 AF on this thing @ 8.25 a month!  They were closed today but definitely by tomorrow this sucker is gone, also have a Cap 1 transition card that was PC'd to a QS1 but the AF on it is $59 for a paltry $700 credit line.  I have 3 other Cap 1 cards with a 1K limit  and AF that could very well see the ax also.  Just wondering if anybody else is  planning to chop some of their cards and why or why not

Message 1 of 61
60 REPLIES 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cards on the chopping block

@ecxpa wrote:

@Every month or so I take a look @ my CC portfolio and freshen things up with CLI's and rewards calculations etc.  Today I decided to finally get rid of some leeches and suckers.  I'm going to close an old Credit One card, just realized that I have been paying over a $100 AF on this thing @ 8.25 a month!  They were closed today but definitely by tomorrow this sucker is gone, also have a Cap 1 transition card that was PC'd to a QS1 but the AF on it is $59 for a paltry $700 credit line.  I have 3 other Cap 1 cards with a 1K limit  and AF that could very well see the ax also.  Just wondering if anybody else is  planning to chop some of their cards and why or why not

My QS Visa is on the chopping block if EO doesn't give me the CLI I want. They gave me a WMC upgrade and a CLI on my QS MC, So i'm leaving that one be for now.

Other than this, I am looking to downgrade my BSP back to a Blue Sky before the next AF hits, as well consolidating the SWA into another card before the next AF, and possibly the CSP as well if they keep nerfing it.

Message 2 of 61
yfan
Valued Contributor

Not planning on chopping any cards for sure, but I am thinking about closing my Marriott card and moving the credit limit to my Amazon Visa.

Message 3 of 61
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@yfan wrote:

Not planning on chopping any cards for sure, but I am thinking about closing my Marriott card and moving the credit limit to my Amazon Visa.

I plan to do some of that too after the first of the year..............why don't we call that move a chop and stack Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 61
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

TrueEarnings--not waiting to find out if it gets converted to a CO Platinum MC. No use for it since I got the AARP Visa

Cash Rewards--2% on groceries is so puny (plus I hardly ever reach the cap on Sallie Mae), I hardly use it. Might be useful if SM gets nerfed, though. Nah, I'll just use It or BCP at Target/Walmart

Message 5 of 61
red259
Super Contributor

Lot of these moves are based upon cards I have picked up after I got them or that I intend to pick up shortly:

Going to chop Amex PRG.

Will try to downgrade Amex BCP to BCE. 

Will try to downgrade CSP to CS or if I can't chop it. 

In March the citi AA exec is getting chopped

next summer the amex spg may get chopped and venture card may be product changed to QS if I pick up the barclays arrival to replace it.

May dump the ink bold if I pick up the ink plus, although have not made any firm decisions on that. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 6 of 61
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

The only card that is in my SD is BofA TR but it is also my ace... 28yrs old and all the other cards only 2 years or less ... so no chopping until my other cards are at least 5 years old..lol

Message 7 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im not planning to get rid of any cards this year but hopefully next year my fico will be strong enough to get me a sallie mae since im still paying an annual fee on the cap one although i was able to get it waived this past year. 

Message 8 of 61
IamB2
Established Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

@Every month or so I take a look @ my CC portfolio and freshen things up with CLI's and rewards calculations etc.  Today I decided to finally get rid of some leeches and suckers.  I'm going to close an old Credit One card, just realized that I have been paying over a $100 AF on this thing @ 8.25 a month!  They were closed today but definitely by tomorrow this sucker is gone, also have a Cap 1 transition card that was PC'd to a QS1 but the AF on it is $59 for a paltry $700 credit line.  I have 3 other Cap 1 cards with a 1K limit  and AF that could very well see the ax also.  Just wondering if anybody else is  planning to chop some of their cards and why or why not

Just chopped a few myself. Closed out my secured CC from Capital one. It was a $1000 CL card. I closed Fingerhut, Victoria's Secret, and Credit One.

@Reasons for closing them? Well, Capital One served its purpose and wasn't giving me any benefits - now I can get better cards, so it was time to part ways. Fingerhut was opened to add another TL back in December of last year. Bought exactly one thing on there and paid it in full immediately and never used it again - their prices were rediculous. Victoria's Secret - I don't get much use for it. Plus @ $750 limit, it wasn't really helping much. Credit One bank was just blah! I was so excited to be "Approved" in december of last year, I didn't really care. After a year of history, and paying $35 annual fee @ $400 limit, I didn't need it. So it made it to the chopping block.

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 9 of 61
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@ecxpa wrote:

The annual fee should easily be removed with the chat or EO or Social Media team from Capital One.. just putting that out there. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.