Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards on the chopping block

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Cards on the chopping block

Transferring limits from Barclays RMC and US Airways to Ring and closing both. Closing Diners Club before another annual fee is due. Thought it would be my pry bar to bigger limits. But looks like the thing won't even report. Not worth af to me. Will PC Citi Diamond Preferred to Double Cash.
Message 31 of 61
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I haven't made any firm decisions yet, but I'm seriously considering closing my Double Cash. I get 1.25% cash back on my Bank Americard Cash Rewards card, and I think I'd rather deal with fewer accounts (with better APRs) with better customer service than to get .75% more cash back. But I haven't decided for sure yet. All of my other cards I'm very happy with, and I have no plans to cancel them.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 32 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't had any issue with the Citi website yet. I might SD my Freedom, as it is irrelevant next to Discover IT. My Amazon Visa might also go on the block, because SM is just better. However, I might use the intro rate on SM to pay my tuition for a year, which means I can't get rid of the Amazon Visa or PC my BCP to a BCE. 

Message 33 of 61
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

TD Easy Rewards and Shell Drive for Five

I'll get rid of them...eventually. I'd rather have my ultimate line-up of cards before I let them go.

Message 34 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am thinking of Chase freedom. Its a redundant card for me

Message 35 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Cap 1 secured.

Message 36 of 61
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

My cap1 cards, they are a goner. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 37 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

As soon as my balance transfer goes through, Credit One Bank is gone.   That's a no brainer.   I have to say, I'm fighting with Cap One, I think it's time to close the Quick Silver ($2500) and the other one ($1000) l That's going to hurt my credit score, Cap One and Credit One are my oldest cards.  OMG.  Did I reallly fall that far??    I just was approved for $8k for Discover and $800 for Freedom.  I'm looking to get an Amex as soon as Credit One is closed.  I don't think I need the other 3.  All advice is welcome.   I love you guys!!! 

Message 38 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chwebb1 wrote:

I haven't made any firm decisions yet, but I'm seriously considering closing my Double Cash. I get 1.25% cash back on my Bank Americard Cash Rewards card, and I think I'd rather deal with fewer accounts (with better APRs) with better customer service than to get .75% more cash back. But I haven't decided for sure yet. All of my other cards I'm very happy with, and I have no plans to cancel them.

This makes -0.75% sense.

Message 39 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

None of my cards are on the chopping block since none of them have annual fees, and I don't see the point in closing a no AF card -- it hurts future AAOA as well as utilization. 

Nevertheless, I could see my QS card proving a lot less useful if I do get approved for the Double Cash next year. I am also definitely going to sock-drawer my joint Discover It account once I get approved for an individual one.

Message 40 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.