Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards post bk?

tag
reno55
Regular Contributor

Cards post bk?

Curious if anyone knows chances of getting these cards again after burning in chapter 7 bk :

Wal mart (ge capitol)
Home Depot (citi)
Newegg
Comenity bank cards

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Re: Cards post bk?

Message 2 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

GE is bk friendly and others have reported obtaining approvals after IIB.
Message 3 of 17
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Mnavas, totally untrue. Many of have have acquired unsecured cards right after BK.

Start here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/Bankruptcy-friendly-credit-cards/td-p/963456
Message 4 of 17
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Message 5 of 17
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

My first 2 unsecured cards were Cap1. No fees for 1 yr., not sure of the interest since I PIF and don't carry a balance. Avoid First Premier, Credit One and Matrix, those are the ones with the crazy high fees and interest. I also have 3 Comenity cards, Walmart and Amazon. All my cards acquired from 1 1/2 to 6 mos. from discharge.

It's probably not a good idea to give advice if you are guessing.
Message 6 of 17
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Message 7 of 17
enharu
Super Contributor

@reno55 wrote:
Curious if anyone knows chances of getting these cards again after burning in chapter 7 bk :

Wal mart (ge capitol)
Home Depot (citi)
Newegg
Comenity bank cards

GE is BK friendly.

Citi varies a lot, but probably a couple years after BK is discharged at least. If you have burned them in your BK, then don't bother applying with them.

No idea about newegg.

Comenity from what I heard, isn't BK friendly. Not entirely sure.

And it is entirely possible to get unsecured cards after BK. CapOne seems to be a good place to start.

I'm not too sure about the rest. Hopefully someone else can help.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 17
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@mnavas wrote:
Ok it might be possible to get unsecured cards but i guess they have the worst terms high annual fees and APR..

Again, not true.  Sounds more like you are speculating on this without having a real understanding of what can actually be accomplished after bk.

OP, I say that YMMV with getting credit with those after you have burned them.  Some people have been successful and others haven't.  I burned Citi but they still gave me a Sears card but declined me for a Simplicity.  As Lexie said, GE is forgiving and so is Cap1 but you should give it about 6 months out of bk before applying.  The best place for you to start rebuilding is a CU that reports to all 3.  My first card out of bk was from DCU with a $7500 limit, 8.99% and unsecured. That was in September just a few months after discharge.  Since then I have gotten SDFCU with a $8k CL and my local CU with a $5K CL.  I also have Discover, Chase (burned them as well), NFCU, Barclays, etc.

My point is that you CAN rebuild your credit, but not necessarily with those that you have burned in the bk for some years and that's why I say that YMMV.  I couldn't believe I got a card from Chase but I did.  Work on cleaning up your reports to the best of your ability.  Get some GE cards and go from there. 

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 9 of 17
reno55
Regular Contributor

I have gotten a cap one platinum with a $300 CL and also just got a cap one rewards (green) with a $500 CL, both unsecured... Just could use some of the ones I mentioned and Tryed wal mart and got denied.. Bk discharged in march
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.