Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards that give high vs low limits

tag
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

Cards that give high vs low limits

Can we start a list of credit cards that generally seem to give low limits & those that give high limits.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Re: Cards that give high vs low limits

@MoreRewards wrote:
Can we start a list of credit cards that generally seem to give low limits & those that give high limits.

To be honest with you, this would be a really hard thread to compile. Considering initial limits are given out with such a wide variety of variables at play. Depending on the person and their credit profile limits could vary drastically. That being said, in my experience, Chase seems to be low balling me, while Discover was very generous.

I was approved for both on the same day and Discover gave me a $7,000 starting line while Chase gave me a $500 starting line on the Freedom.  There again, that just goes to show you how much variance there could be between lenders as well. Of course both of those banks pulled different credit reports and they were a bit different at that time, so...

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 2 of 21
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Low Limits:

Target

Abercrombie & Fitch

Message 3 of 21
xXIDaShizIXx
Established Contributor

Kohls low.
GE Generally high.
Bank of America Cash Rewards: $70k; Chase Sapphire Preferred: $35k; Capital One Quicksilver: $21.2k; Citi AAdvantage: $23.5k; Care Credit: $20k; Chase Freedom: $12.5k; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $12.5k; Citi Simplicity: $15.9k; Wayfair: $22K; Barclaycard Rewards: $10k; Car Care One: $10k; AMEX BCE: $15k; Discover IT Miles: $10k; Citi DC: $9.2k; Marvel: $10k; Ashley Furniture: $6k; PayPal Credit: $10k; US Bank Cash +: $5k;
Message 4 of 21
Chris679
Established Contributor

Starting limits are based on your credit profile at the time. I once got two Citi cards one month apart one for $6000 and the other for $1500.
Message 5 of 21
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

I figured it would vary.

I've always heard Discover is on the conservative side too.

But one thing I keep seeing is how generous CU are & that Amex usually gives good starting limits. I don't have a card from Amex. So I've no personal experience with them.

I totally understand that it can vary from lender & each persons credit profile is different.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my experience:
Low start but easy to increase limit shortly thereafter:
NY&CO, The Limited, Abercrombie, AE, Victoria's Secret, Carsons, Kohls, capital one, jc Penney, Ann Taylor, old navy, banana republic, gap, Tj Maxx, Walmart, express, marathon, the buckle

Chase freedom started at $700 no increase so far in 12 months. Speedway is slow to give an increase unless you use it every month, Mobil is also slow

Higher limits- Jared, Gardner White, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Chase Amazon, care credit, Barclay, Merrick bank, first national credit card, blaze MasterCard, show MasterCard, Amazon rewards
Message 7 of 21
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

Chase Freedom started me at $5,000!

American Eagle started me at $150!
Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 8 of 21
TURNERHOOVER
Established Contributor

@BrokaToe wrote:

@MoreRewards wrote:

To be honest with you, this would be a really hard thread to compile. Considering initial limits are given out with such a wide variety of variables at play. Depending on the person and their credit profile limits could vary drastically. That being said, in my experience, Chase seems to be low balling me, while Discover was very generous.

I was approved for both on the same day and Discover gave me a $7,000 starting line while Chase gave me a $500 starting line on the Freedom.  There again, that just goes to show you how much variance there could be between lenders as well. Of course both of those banks pulled different credit reports and they were a bit diff

erent at that time, so...

Exact opposite for me: 

Chase approval - 4k

Discover approval - 1.5k 

EX 727 | EQ 720 | TU 740

FREEDOM 4.5k | BCP 9.5k | DISCOVER 2.5k | ARRIVAL+ 7.5k | RITZ CARLTON 15k
No new Apps till Dec 2016
Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MoreRewards wrote:
I figured it would vary.

I've always heard Discover is on the conservative side too.

But one thing I keep seeing is how generous CU are & that Amex usually gives good starting limits. I don't have a card from Amex. So I've no personal experience with them.

I totally understand that it can vary from lender & each persons credit profile is different.

I just got a discover and they beat my highest current cl by $500 ($6500), and beat my highest previous sl by $1500 ($5000).

From observations here the new BP cards that everyone was getting a few weeks ago all had $1500 or less as sl, regardless of whether it was the store card or not. 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.