cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards to start with, other than Orchard?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cards to start with, other than Orchard?

@FicoScore626 wrote:

You should only consider First Premier if you enjoy paying all sorts of fees. Monthly fees, annual fees, first time online account access fees, online payment fees, credit line increase fees, breathing fees, sleeping fees and bathing fees.

LMAO, I completely agree. I started off with  $250 CL and only $78 avail credit after all the fees were deducted. This was before I got the card. I guess with 2yrs history and no late payments, this helped me re-establish my credit in order to get the cards I have now. My recommendation is to avoid First Premier but if his options are limited, this one is available.

Message 11 of 19
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

New Millennium might be near the bottom of the barrel for some, but i know someone who has one, and loves it.  There are no upfront fees at all.  Just a 59$ AF, which you're gonna get anyway.  You can increase your credit line by adding funds at anytime up to 5k, per card.  No credit check whatsoever.  Also, is a Platinum card which also covers your CDW if you ever rent a car, and platinum benefits.  The only drawback is that your payments are not applied to the available credit line until 7 days has passed.   Other than that, its pretty easy to get, and reports to all bureaus.

You also earn a little interest as well.  So, just a thought to put out there.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 12 of 19
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@KIPPIE12 wrote:

New Millennium might be near the bottom of the barrel for some, but i know someone who has one, and loves it.  There are no upfront fees at all.  Just a 59$ AF, which you're gonna get anyway.  You can increase your credit line by adding funds at anytime up to 5k, per card.  No credit check whatsoever.  Also, is a Platinum card which also covers your CDW if you ever rent a car, and platinum benefits.  The only drawback is that your payments are not applied to the available credit line until 7 days has passed.   Other than that, its pretty easy to get, and reports to all bureaus.

You also earn a little interest as well.  So, just a thought to put out there.

You failed to mention that there is a $99 to $130 setup fee.    There is no grace period.   You are paying interest form purchase date on everything.   That is the reason for the 7 day delay on the payment, to accrue more interest.    

Most everyone with bad or no credit can do better than this or First Premiere.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

i had good luck with Merrick Bank post BK.

But they just went to an a/f after 6 years so

I closed them.  They helped me alot.  too bad!

Message 14 of 19
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Where did the OP go?Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fused wrote:

Where did the OP go?Smiley Happy

I am so sorry! I got slammed at work after I posted and it was a rough week.  I am here, and I read all your suggestions.  I thank you all for your insight.

Re: Cap One, my auto loan is with them (the one that we did re-affirm).  I would assume if they were going to extend me cred, they would have - wouldn't you think so?  I mean they have my address and I've been a good customer (I've purchased 3 cars and paid in full on all 3; this current one is my 4th).

Public is the one I was thinking of, yes, I knew it was a Pee!

Well this gives me some good places to start.  Every week we get a new offer, I open it to always see it is HSBC.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes tobey... While I was searching for a secured card, the fact that I would be sending my money to a small bank that was recently accredited with the BBB (the page indicated that businesses pay to become accredited) did concern me. Naturally, for someone who had never had to have a secured card before, I was concerned about  the possibility of getting scammed.

My BK was discharged in Jan of 2010 and after much reading, I thought  a secured card would be the only type of card that I would be able to get. (Equifax= 643 Experian= 577 and Transunion=675) My prayers were answered when I was approved for the unsecured Orchard card.  I received the card within 7 days and as of today, started the process of rebuilding.

Many blessings to everyone!

Message 17 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Best Buy Mastercard is handing out cards like candy right now and they do not care about BK.

capital one also was the first card i got out of bk.

I wouldn't bother with a secured card that is not going to graduate.

Message 18 of 19
alnorth

here's another vote for capital one. I declared  BK, got a little $500 card from them 6 years ago, then an auto loan and paid it off early a few years ago, faithfully charged something and PIF every month even when I got better cards later, and just this week, even though my BK wont fall off for another 3 years (its been 7 years since BK), they surprised me with an offer for a really awesome no hassle rewards card.

Your mileage may vary, thats just my experience, but they seemed to reward me for my relationship with them beyond what some automated credit app from other companies were willing to do.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.