Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards w/ No Transaction Fees

tag
RyeBread
Established Member

Cards w/ No Transaction Fees

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a card that doesn't have foreign transaction fees, preferably a Mastercard. I might be studying abroad in Japan this summer. Just wanted to get an idea of my options and my chances of approval.

I currently have:

Citi Forward 3k

AMEX BCE 2.5k

Discover IT 2.5k

Radio Shack Store $350

Best Buy Card $400

All credit scores are about 690+

Current Score: EQ (Citi FICO) (3/23): 831, EX (Amex FICO) (4/23): 820, TU (Discover): 800

~$138k total CL, ~1% utilized
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Cards w/ No Transaction Fees

Message 2 of 11
Bluebonnet
New Contributor

Are you eligible for Navy Federal?

If so, they offer a goRewards Mastercard that could fit what you're looking for.

Last app: 10/4/14
In the garden until Winter of 2016
Message 3 of 11
RyeBread
Established Member

Thanks!

Current Score: EQ (Citi FICO) (3/23): 831, EX (Amex FICO) (4/23): 820, TU (Discover): 800

Message 4 of 11
dansparis

I'm currently studying abroad in Paris and after extensive research opted for Capital One credit cards. For now, I'm alternating between 3 credit cards.

All of them have no foreign transaction fees.

1) Capital One Quicksilver (Visa)

- Gives you 1.5% cashback on all purchases but requires "excellent" credit. If you don't think you qualify for this card, I'd replace it with their Journey Student card which gives you 1.25% instead but only requires "average" credit.

2) Capital One Newcomers (Mastercard)

- Not sure if you can still apply for this one, but I use it as a travel card. It gives you 2% on all travel-related expenses (train, bus, hotels, flights, etc). The VentureOne might be a good replacement or Chase Sapphire Preferred (although this one has an annual fee).

3) Chase Hyatt (Visa Signature)

- A back up card for me. Got 2 nights free at any Hyatt worldwide, after signing up and spending a certain limit. Also a rewards card, but in Hyatt points. Has an annual fee, but you can easily negate that since they give you a night's stay on your card anniversary each year. 

Hope this helps!

Message 5 of 11
RyeBread
Established Member

Just wanted to bump this. I'm looking for something that isn't Cap1, and has no AF. I was accepted into the program, so it's definite I'll be going.

Message 6 of 11
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

Message 7 of 11
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@pdog661 wrote:

BOA travel rewards

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/top-credit-cards/no-foreign-transaction-fee-credit-card/

I would go with this one, I was looking for one for my dad, But he didn't want it 'cause he said he has 2 cards through BoA and doesn't want more, He'd rather pay the fees... He wanted Citi.

Message 8 of 11
samm90
New Contributor

Your discover will work everywhere in Japan. No FTF. Barclays ring is 1% FTF Mastercard
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 9 of 11
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Barclaycard arrival

NFCU goRewards MC or Visa (if you are eligible)

Discover it (works on JCB network...supposedly)

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.