Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards who blacklist

tag
LittleCat
Contributor

Cards who blacklist

I am looking to add another Visa to my CC mix after cleaning up my credit mess over the last 2 years. My last baddie(repo and a CO) due to fall off in 3 monthes or so and I would app only after this happens.

What cards blacklist, and for how long? I had accts go bad on Discover, Chase, Citi and Cap1.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

Re: Cards who blacklist

I heard Cap1 will give a second chance. They might start you out on a "credit steps program". you get like a 500 CL, then 750 the 1000....

Citibank i think forgives as well. not sure.

I have read that AMEX blacklists for life. they will never ever ever give credit again if you bk'd them or have a co.  You can't even be an AU on an AMEX acct if it had that status in the past. This is what I have read.

hsbc offers some sort of discover card, a friend of mine has it. he applied for a different hsbc product and didnt' get it but got the discover hsbc card.

I don't know about chase, i heard they are strict.

i don't know any of this for a fact however just from lots of reading and learning.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@daisyduke wrote:

I heard Cap1 will give a second chance. They might start you out on a "credit steps program". you get like a 500 CL, then 750 the 1000....

Citibank i think forgives as well. not sure.

I have read that AMEX blacklists for life. they will never ever ever give credit again if you bk'd them or have a co.  You can't even be an AU on an AMEX acct if it had that status in the past. This is what I have read.

hsbc offers some sort of discover card, a friend of mine has it. he applied for a different hsbc product and didnt' get it but got the discover hsbc card.

I don't know about chase, i heard they are strict.

i don't know any of this for a fact however just from lots of reading and learning.

It is certain that AmEx blacklists forever and ever.  They even use that as a collection tool by holding it over your head.

Not sure about any of the others, though.

Message 3 of 10
KimberH
New Contributor

"I have read that AMEX blacklists for life. they will never ever ever give credit again if you bk'd them or have a co."

Semi incorrect. Only if the CO is not paid....is it is it may offer you its "rebuilding" card - Oasis.

BK, can not say.

"Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into" Ollie
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KimberH wrote:

"I have read that AMEX blacklists for life. they will never ever ever give credit again if you bk'd them or have a co."

Semi incorrect. Only if the CO is not paid....is it is it may offer you its "rebuilding" card - Oasis.

BK, can not say.

I'm pretty sure that what Daisy was saying is that AmEx blacklists for life if they have taken a financial loss on the account.  That, is a fact.

If you have later repaid the amount they lost, you are elegible to apply for membership again. 

Message 5 of 10
mt2va
Established Contributor

USAA I believe blacklists unless you pay off the charged off account.  (even if IIB)

IME Capital One blacklists.  I had a charge off to them (about $800) about 9 years ago & it is long gone off my CR yet they would not approve me for a CC the last time I applied. 

But in the meantime I've been approved for 2 CC from NFCU, 1 CC from BB, 2 CC from Sears, 1 CC from local CU, 1 LOC from NFCU, & 1 car re-fi. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 6 of 10
sewmuchdebt
Regular Contributor

credit one bank blacklists!

i know i'm surprised too. my mom had a charge off from them back in 1998 when it was 1st bank of marin. she recently apped for a credit one card (oct 2009) and never got all the way through the online application because it said she had a current account. she called and found out it was a denial due to this previous acct. it was IIB in 1996/CO in 1998-that's their explanation.

Starting Score: EQ 505 jul09
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 693 EX 692 apr12
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Wow on the Credit One.....of all banks to blacklist.

Discover sent me a you-are-banned-for-life type letter when my Discover was CO'd back in 1997. I still have the letter and had paid the CO by 2000. Fast forward, I was approved for a Discover More in this past July.

Message 8 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@mt2va wrote:

USAA I believe blacklists unless you pay off the charged off account.  (even if IIB)

IME Capital One blacklists.  I had a charge off to them (about $800) about 9 years ago & it is long gone off my CR yet they would not approve me for a CC the last time I applied. 

But in the meantime I've been approved for 2 CC from NFCU, 1 CC from BB, 2 CC from Sears, 1 CC from local CU, 1 LOC from NFCU, & 1 car re-fi. 

No one can ask you to pay an account once it has been IIB. The debt no longer exists. It is illegal to ask you to pay it. They can deny you credit, however. Amex Oasis offers clearly state that they DO NOT APPLY to you if Amex was included in your BK. Similarly you can get back in with Macy's if you pay off the bad account. However, if the account was IIB you are done for life. (Or until they forget. Any of these issuers can forget.)

As for Discover and Citi I know for a certainty that they will take you back. But that is eventually! Most prime issuers will not take you back while their CO'ed account is still reporting on your CBR. The only ones I can think of who might do that are FP, Orchard and Cap1.

Message 9 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

llecs wrote:

Discover sent me a you-are-banned-for-life type letter when my Discover was CO'd back in 1997. I still have the letter and had paid the CO by 2000. Fast forward, I was approved for a Discover More in this past July.

Not only did Discover send me no such letter, after several pre-app offers from Discover Financial Services for one of their loans I got a pre-app offer for a More card which left me dumbfoundedI thought about it long and hard and finally app'ed it - I was approved for an $8.1K CL now at $10.1K. Go figure...

Quite honestly I have no idea what the disposition of my original Discover Card was (and I do mean ORIGINAL!), but it was closed in disgrace. I know years after that I was in some type of repayment program (10 years ago). I have no idea whether I completed that program. Whether I did or not it took nine more years from that time to get an offer for new card. You just gotta hang in there and bide your time.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.