Did you mean: 

Cards with Chip and Pin vs Chip and Signature

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cards with Chip and Pin vs Chip and Signature

@victor7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So far, in the US, I can only see that Barclays offers actual Chip and Pin, while all others that have a chip still require a signature after a transaction in a machine that accepts chips.

I changed my PIN last night since I'm going to be doing some overseas travel. I hope I that doesn't mean they have to send me a new card, or it may not arrive in time...

Anyway, does anyone know of any other US card that has actual chip and pin?

I live part time in France, so I deal with this all the time.

One easy workaround is to have an EMV ATM/debit card (which you can get from Chase, Schwab, others), and use that when you require Chip-and-PIN.

Be careful with debit cards though. Other than Schwab and maybe a couple of others, you will get slapped with a foreign transaction fee at the very least (and probably other fees as well if you use it in a foreign ATM). Always check with your bank or credit union before using it.

Message 21 of 50
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Having returned from Europe, I am reminded of my love/hate relationship with chip and signature as switching your attention to the signing part makes it so easy to forget your card in the chip slot.

Message 22 of 50
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MissMoni223 wrote:
My Chase Freedom and Wells Fargo Visa are both chip and pin. They arrived that way.

Well they might have PINs but they're not true chip and pin cards.  As earlier mentioned the only two currently available in the US right now are the UNFCU and in the recent past the Diners Club cards.

+1 all cards have pin's but it appears most don't understand what a true chip and pin is. the cards they use in europe. in fact. all canadian cards are true chip and pins. most U.S cards Chip and Sig. Pin in secondary.

Message 23 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Omg I've seen that Harvard card. Rare, that's for sure.
Message 24 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure you activate the PIN at an attended chip-enabled terminal before you head overseas. Walmart & Home Depot are good places to do it. If you dont, the PIN feature won't work at unattended kiosks.
Message 25 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

My new SDFCU VISA is an EMV chip & pin card. At least that's what it says on their website and in the Wall Street Journal article recommending SDFCU if you want one of these new "chip & pin" cards for traveling to Europe. Says Amex, Discover, and others will require them by 2017 or the merchant will be responsible for any fraudulent transactions.
Message 26 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My new SDFCU VISA is an EMV chip & pin card. At least that's what it says on their website and in the Wall Street Journal article recommending SDFCU if you want one of these new "chip & pin" cards for traveling to Europe. Says Amex, Discover, and others will require them by 2017 or the merchant will be responsible for any fraudulent transactions.

1. This October, actually.

2. They claim "chip and PIN" but I bet you won't get asked for it if you try using it at Walmart or anywhere other than ticket machines/kiosks. (If you do, something definitely changed with the cards and you should let us know!)

Message 27 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the card last week, but I haven't tried it. They did mail a separate "pin" number with it and it states "you cannot change it or ask for a specific pin number". I thought that was strange as every other card I've ever gotten would allow me to change from the pin they sent me to my own personal pin.
I'll have to stop at Walmart tomorrow and try it. I didn't know anything about these "chip & pin/signature" cards until I tried to use my new PRG at Walmart a few weeks ago. I tried to pay by swiping it several times to no avail. I thought they didn't take Amex so I broke out my QS and tried swiping again. Same thing. I was embarrassed thinking I must have a security freeze or something. But than the cashier came up and showed me how to use it. Boy did I feel like a "dunce".
Anyway, now I have a much better understanding of this whole new chip & pin/signature deal. I'll go and try my SDFCU card at Walmart tomorrow. So if it asks for a pin, than this is a true "chip & pin". If it requires a signature, than it's just the standard "chip & signature w/pin backup", but not a true "chip & pin". Is that correct ???
Message 28 of 50
2b2rich
Established Contributor

Not trying to hijack this thread, but because so many of you are referring to overseas travel with your credit cards, I have a question about that specifically..

The last time I travelled overseas (late 80s) and used a credit card, some of the hotels and establishments would hold the charge sometimes for a couple of weeks until the currency exchange was a little more favorable to them and then charge.

Do they still do that?

Chapter 7 Discharged & Closed Jan 2020
Message 29 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I got the card last week, but I haven't tried it. They did mail a separate "pin" number with it and it states "you cannot change it or ask for a specific pin number". I thought that was strange as every other card I've ever gotten would allow me to change from the pin they sent me to my own personal pin.
I'll have to stop at Walmart tomorrow and try it. I didn't know anything about these "chip & pin/signature" cards until I tried to use my new PRG at Walmart a few weeks ago. I tried to pay by swiping it several times to no avail. I thought they didn't take Amex so I broke out my QS and tried swiping again. Same thing. I was embarrassed thinking I must have a security freeze or something. But than the cashier came up and showed me how to use it. Boy did I feel like a "dunce".
Anyway, now I have a much better understanding of this whole new chip & pin/signature deal. I'll go and try my SDFCU card at Walmart tomorrow. So if it asks for a pin, than this is a true "chip & pin". If it requires a signature, than it's just the standard "chip & signature w/pin backup", but not a true "chip & pin". Is that correct ???

Yup, chip & pin won't ask for your signature at all, always gotta put a pin numbers. But if they mailed you preset pin, it sounds like chip & pin priority card. 

Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.