Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards with Chip and Pin vs Chip and Signature

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cards with Chip and Pin vs Chip and Signature

@Anonymous wrote:

So far, in the US, I can only see that Barclays offers actual Chip and Pin, while all others that have a chip still require a signature after a transaction in a machine that accepts chips.

I changed my PIN last night since I'm going to be doing some overseas travel. I hope I that doesn't mean they have to send me a new card, or it may not arrive in time...

Anyway, does anyone know of any other US card that has actual chip and pin?

Chip and pin, even if offered, cannot be used in the United States at all becaue chip and pin machines are not installed and are pretty expensive. I asked a lender for their estimate as to when this would happen and be fully implemented and the lender estimated 2023! So while we are on that path, we're not there yet.

Message 41 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly- chip cards can have PINS but that does not mean they are actual chip and PIN cards, nor can they be used in chip and pin machines sicne these are not in the US. Can be used in international locations if true chip and PIN.

Message 42 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grizindabox wrote:

In every case currently, when using a PIN with a chip and siggy card it will be treated as a cash advance.

This is not a good thing at all

Message 43 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@grizindabox wrote:

In every case currently, when using a PIN with a chip and siggy card it will be treated as a cash advance.

Whether a transaction's considered a "cash advance" isn't determined by whether a PIN's used but by whether you get cash back. For instance, it is possible to go into a bank branch with a credit card and pull out money with the help of a teller (and wouldn't need a PIN!); this will get you charged cash advance fees and interest. On the other hand, if you have one of the rare chip and PIN cards and use the PIN on a normal purchase without getting cash back, it's just treated as a normal purchase. On some ticket machines overseas that don't respect how US cards are configured, it may even be possible to use the cash advance PIN to make a purchase as well and this wouldn't be counted as a cash advance.

Unfortunately this doesn't break down quite that well into a single sentence, so it's easier for CSRs to just say PIN == cash advance. Thus making it hard/impossible to switch away from chip and signature towards chip and PIN even if banks wanted to.

Message 44 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

ok so is the pin number for chipped cards the same as the ATM pin?

If the card supports PIN for purchases, yes. Although if you see my last comment it is possible at some ticket machines overseas to use your cash advance PIN to make a purchase even if it's not supposed to ask.

Message 45 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Chip and pin, even if offered, cannot be used in the United States at all becaue chip and pin machines are not installed and are pretty expensive. I asked a lender for their estimate as to when this would happen and be fully implemented and the lender estimated 2023! So while we are on that path, we're not there yet.

They're seen as "expensive" only because businesses seem to think they need to go all out and buy the fanciest possible ones. Granted, those might actually make sense for some because they allow for saving digital copies of signatures instead of having to store tons of paper, but hardly all businesses need such terminals. Even companies that should know better like McDonald's are falling for that trap--for example Canadian McDonald's use non-touchscreen terminals while US McDonald's seem to be getting the slightly smaller version of the ones Target's using (even though it's probably rare that they'd need to collect a signature).

Message 46 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got back from 2 weeks in the UK. I had obtained a SDFCU card specifically because it stated it was chip and PIn.I was not staying in a high tourist area.

My experience is as follows it always acted as a Chip and Signature card when I went to Store, I did get a few confused looks as it required a signature but seems that the store clerks knew what to do. I used a self service lane at a supermarket and it asked me to sign my name on a screen, I then had to wait for an attendant to come over and check my signature on my card, she did have to call a manager as she had never experienced a signature required before. I then used a ticket machine at a train station. The ticket office was closed so the machine was the only way to but tickets, I inserted card it never asked for a pin and just dispensed tickets. I never was in a situation where it asked for a PIN.

I also went to London for a couple of days and the tube now accepts Apple Pay since the UK is now moving to contactless cards. I do have Apple Pay here in the US, however it would not accept my phone and the message was Card is invalid. The attendant told me because I have US credit cards so will never work.

This confirms other posts here that the priority is Chip and Signature first.,

For some reason Visa issuers really, really don't want you to have to enter a PIN even if the card supposedly supports it, hence why the card's configured so that it's ranked below "no verification required". It almost seems like there's no point in even having one.

Apple Pay should have worked on the Tube though because TfL's one of Apple's partners.

Message 47 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So far, in the US, I can only see that Barclays offers actual Chip and Pin, while all others that have a chip still require a signature after a transaction in a machine that accepts chips.

I changed my PIN last night since I'm going to be doing some overseas travel. I hope I that doesn't mean they have to send me a new card, or it may not arrive in time...

This subject comes up often.  I'm fairly sure that no Barclays card is a true Chip and Pin with Pin priority  True ones are very limited.  The Diner's Club  card that some of us have but is no longer available is one.  The UNFCU is also one.  Other than that, can't remember any more.

True. The Ring is a Chip & Signature with PIN capabilities; meaning that you will always have to sign unless you are using it at a terminal that will only take a PIN. So even if you enable the PIN feature, you won't be able to use it unless the terminal requires it.

Message 48 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This subject comes up often.  I'm fairly sure that no Barclays card is a true Chip and Pin with Pin priority  True ones are very limited.  The Diner's Club  card that some of us have but is no longer available is one.  The UNFCU is also one.  Other than that, can't remember any more.

True. The Ring is a Chip & Signature with PIN capabilities; meaning that you will always have to sign unless you are using it at a terminal that will only take a PIN. So even if you enable the PIN feature, you won't be able to use it unless the terminal requires it.

When I activated my Aviator card it asked me to set one, so it's probably a givein that most/all of their cards will have it enabled.

Message 49 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just realized that EMV chips are basically SIM cards used in phones! how cool is that! Now it makes sense that when I had softcard I needed a special sim

Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.