Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards with Contactless or PayPass?

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Cards with Contactless or PayPass?

Diners cards have PayPass contactless

AMEX cards have a contactless option on many. I have the SPG, EDP updated, will get the PRG and Delta to Contactless soon.

I had a Key Bank debit card that showed PayPass, so it seems likely Key Bank CC could be Contactless. 

What at are some other CC that have Contactless? Where is VISA in all this?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cards with Contactless or PayPass?

VISA have payWave for their contactless payments. It not VISA that decides to include it in cards from what i've been told, it's up to the issuing bank. Back home in Aus all of our credit/debit cards have had payWave or PayPass for several years now. I was suprised to land in States and find that the technology isn't widely used.

They can't sign for purchases now either, all Aus cards must be chip & PIN (or PayPass/payWave).

Message 2 of 30
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for reminder just ordered my PRG contactless and will be here tomorrow.. Didn't ask them to overnight it, they just didSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 30
galahad15
Valued Contributor

At one point, I think the Barclay Ring card had the PayPass feature on some of its classic orange-and-white themed cards (I also used to have one of these), although I think Barclay has since discontinued offering that feature on the Ring.

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Key Bank debit card, that they're cancelling because I've never used it, has PayPass. Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 30
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Both my Amex cards are contactless, saves on wear and tear! The larger "Chase" style EMV chip is cool too.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can you tell if your amex/chase cards are contactless? If I have just the regular ones do I just contact CSR to request the contactless version?

Message 7 of 30
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How can you tell if your amex/chase cards are contactless? If I have just the regular ones do I just contact CSR to request the contactless version?

Amex contactless cards have a wifi symbol on the back, yep you can contact CSR and request contactless replacement card, make sure they dont think you just want an EMV card, make sure it's CONTACTLESS.IMG_0404.jpg

Message 8 of 30
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Amex contactless cards also have a larger Chase style EMV chipIMG_0405.jpg

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC's cards have it too.

@Anonymous wrote:

I was suprised to land in States and find that the technology isn't widely used.

It has limited usefulness in the US, to be honest. Most people just don't see the point when you don't have to sign or enter a PIN the vast majority of the time anyway. And then there's the (possibly large) contingent who are ultra paranoid about the whole thing, which is why the few that do offer it do so on an opt-in basis--or deny that their cards have the feature, like what a Diners Club CSR did recently when I asked about it.

And I wouldn't rely on our adoption of chip to help all that much with that either. I just ate at a place for lunch where the cashier inserted and removed my card in less than 2 seconds. Eventually, most all businesses will run chip that quickly, so the speed advantage isn't going to matter for people. Not to mention that considering how anti-card a lot of businesses actually are, most will keep the functionality disabled without massive concessions on the part of Visa and MasterCard.

[For context, only 0.2% of transactions were done with mobile phones (our de-facto contactless/PayPass implementation) last year.]

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.