cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards with flexible apps/alternate card consideration?

tag
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

Cards with flexible apps/alternate card consideration?

So I see everyone likes the Sapphire card and it'd be nice if I could get that one. Not sure the odds are that good though. And from reading their pricing and terms, it looks like they don't consider you for other cards if they decline you for that one. 

"Before we approve you for a credit card, we will review your credit report and the information you provide with your response to confirm that you meet the criteria for this offer. Based on this review, you may not receive a card."

Which popular cards do give you consideration for others if you don't get approved for the top of the line card?  I'd like to optimize my chances to not come away empty-handed, without piling too many HPs on, although since I'm planning to garden after my next app, I guess I could deal with half a dozen inquiries in a day or two if need be. 

Any suggestions? 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
twist7d7
Regular Contributor

Re: Cards with flexible apps/alternate card consideration?

not sure what bank you are with but this just happened with me. i applied for the visa siggy from m&t and got the visa with rewards. 2k limit

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Message 2 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

are your scores 680+??

If they are, I say go for whatever you want.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 9
Stralem
Established Contributor

No offense dude, but if you're going to take an HP and potentially be stuck with a card for 13 months or more depending on the PC policy of your chosen lender, don't just settle for whatever scraps get tossed your way. Go for the card you want from the get go. If you aren't approved the first time, recon. If that doesn't work, try again.

And really, HPs aren't the kiss of death they're made out to be. Important, yes, but no where near as important as other factors like utility and payment history.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 4 of 9
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

No offense dude, but if you're going to take an HP and potentially be stuck with a card for 13 months or more depending on the PC policy of your chosen lender, don't just settle for whatever scraps get tossed your way. Go for the card you want from the get go. If you aren't approved the first time, recon. If that doesn't work, try again.

And really, HPs aren't the kiss of death they're made out to be. Important, yes, but no where near as important as other factors like utility and payment history.

+1000.

Shoot for the stars. There's no guarantee they'll allow you to PC later on.

Message 5 of 9
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

No offense taken, of course, I'm here to learn Smiley Happy Appreciate the feedback. 

FICOs are 680+, some FAKOs are lower, should be 700+ in a week or so with single digit util. I'm just not used to knowing I have choices. Smiley Happy 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 6 of 9
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

To add, if you start with a no AF card and want a better version that carries an AF you have to at least wait one year to convert. I believe it's part of the new credit card laws. At least that's what Amex told me a while back. 

Message 7 of 9
mirachi
Regular Contributor

I was always under the impression that the underwriting criteria between the Sapphire (no AF) and CSP were the same? In any case, I'd actually recommend you get the no AF Sapphire and then apply for the CSP a year later to get both bonuses

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 8 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@mirachi wrote:
I was always under the impression that the underwriting criteria between the Sapphire (no AF) and CSP were the same? In any case, I'd actually recommend you get the no AF Sapphire and then apply for the CSP a year later to get both bonuses

The Sapphire CL  min is $2k, CSP min is $5k. I would guess there might be a slight difference based on initial CL's. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.