Reply
Member
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎12-10-2012
0

Cards with high starting credit limit?

I know that the credit limit given after applying is based upon your credit report so it'll vary by person. On average though, which credit cards usually start off with higher limits than usual?

Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,065
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0

Re: Cards with high starting credit limit?

Credit Unions are known to be more generous.

 

For me personally, Amex gave me a large initial CL.  Chase gave me a modest CL on my first card (Freedom), and a large CL on my second card (CSP). 


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 10,898
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: Cards with high starting credit limit?


TJDgator wrote:

I know that the credit limit given after applying is based upon your credit report so it'll vary by person. On average though, which credit cards usually start off with higher limits than usual?


NFCU; that's really about it as every other lender is very much YMMV.

 

I think if you limit it to specific credit strata, there might be some contenders on individual cards, but usually it's all the individual's credit report and I'm not sure of any other lender which issues high limits across the board on any of their cards compared to other cards of similar credit (and income) requirements.

 

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 693, EQ 8 685, TU 705, EX 709 (02/27/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,738
Registered: ‎08-13-2012
0

Re: Cards with high starting credit limit?

Most of the time : Credit Union.

Worst of the time : Lovely Capital One


Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 748 Wishlist: CSP, Simply Cash, SPG, BOLD, INK, United MP,
Goal Score: 800


Walmart: 10k |Usaa: 8k|BCE: 13k| Amex: NSPL|Dis: 9.4k|Cap: 5.5k|CAP: 2k|CSP: 13.4k| Pen:4.5k

Member
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎12-10-2012
0

Re: Cards with high starting credit limit?


Walt_K wrote:

Credit Unions are known to be more generous.

 

For me personally, Amex gave me a large initial CL.  Chase gave me a modest CL on my first card (Freedom), and a large CL on my second card (CSP). 


Aside from NFCU which credit unions come to mind?

Senior Contributor
Posts: 6,242
Registered: ‎08-16-2012
0

Re: Cards with high starting credit limit?

Hahahaha@nicholas!!!!

Define "high cl"....

My highest initial CL is w Barclay's...$6500 Travelocity Amex
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,292
Registered: ‎08-19-2012
0

Re: Cards with high starting credit limit?


youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Hahahaha@nicholas!!!!

Define "high cl"....

My highest initial CL is w Barclay's...$6500 Travelocity Amex

thats what I was thinking, you need to let us know what you think a high CL is

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0

Re: Cards with high starting credit limit?


nicholasyud wrote:

Most of the time : Credit Union.

Worst of the time : Lovely Capital One


And even there, YMMV, my (joint)highest initial CL was with Capital One, $30K

Member
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎12-10-2012
0

Re: Cards with high starting credit limit?


ryanbush wrote:

youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Hahahaha@nicholas!!!!

Define "high cl"....

My highest initial CL is w Barclay's...$6500 Travelocity Amex

thats what I was thinking, you need to let us know what you think a high CL is


* Higher than what I have lol; should have worded it better

 

$5,000 and above

Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 10,898
Registered: ‎12-30-2011
0

Re: Cards with high starting credit limit?


TJDgator wrote:

ryanbush wrote:

youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Hahahaha@nicholas!!!!

Define "high cl"....

My highest initial CL is w Barclay's...$6500 Travelocity Amex

thats what I was thinking, you need to let us know what you think a high CL is


* Higher than what I have lol; should have worded it better

 

$5,000 and above


5K isn't worth much if say for example someone can get 10K with NFCU or similar (and that's probably 15K in their universe to be fair).

 

Out of the mainstream lenders, seemingly Amex appears to be one of the higher limit ones even initially with many users reporting it's "my highest limit yet!" and then obtaining a $500 Freedom; however, I wouldn't qualify them anywhere close to NFCU.  The rest which popularly come up on the forums, DCU, Alliant, Penfed, no, no, and yeah right.  

 

I think for any consideration of CL, it has to be viewed over time, in which case CLI policies are equivalent or perhaps even more important than initial limit.

 

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 693, EQ 8 685, TU 705, EX 709 (02/27/15)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ 04 (01/01/16)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.