cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards with high starting credit limit?

tag
TJDgator

Re: Cards with high starting credit limit?

@Revelate wrote:

@TJDgator wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Hahahaha@nicholas!!!!

Define "high cl"....

My highest initial CL is w Barclay's...$6500 Travelocity Amex

thats what I was thinking, you need to let us know what you think a high CL is

* Higher than what I have lol; should have worded it better

$5,000 and above

5K isn't worth much if say for example someone can get 10K with NFCU or similar (and that's probably 15K in their universe to be fair).

Out of the mainstream lenders, seemingly Amex appears to be one of the higher limit ones even initially with many users reporting it's "my highest limit yet!" and then obtaining a $500 Freedom; however, I wouldn't qualify them anywhere close to NFCU.  The rest which popularly come up on the forums, DCU, Alliant, Penfed, no, no, and yeah right.  

I think for any consideration of CL, it has to be viewed over time, in which case CLI policies are equivalent or perhaps even more important than initial limit.

I see, I just feel like I am in this rut with cards that give me $1500 and $2000 limits consistently. Which I was seeing if there was a consistent bank that gave higher limits starting out. With the mentality of higher limits beget higher limits.

Message 11 of 28
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

5K isn't worth much if say for example someone can get 10K with NFCU or similar (and that's probably 15K in their universe to be fair).

Out of the mainstream lenders, seemingly Amex appears to be one of the higher limit ones even initially with many users reporting it's "my highest limit yet!" and then obtaining a $500 Freedom; however, I wouldn't qualify them anywhere close to NFCU.  The rest which popularly come up on the forums, DCU, Alliant, Penfed, no, no, and yeah right.  

I think for any consideration of CL, it has to be viewed over time, in which case CLI policies are equivalent or perhaps even more important than initial limit.

I agree with this, but there is probably a bit of sample bias re Amex giving the highest limit.   If this board was  populated with just the one percenters, we would see more "Just got the Palladium, 200K, my highest limit yet!"  But yes, given the relative ease of getting Amex charge, and then adding revolvers, Amex wins for the people on this forum, especially with the following 61 day 3xCLI.

Message 12 of 28
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Go with a CU, or go with Amex.  As mentioned above, CLI policy can be just as important.  Even if you get a $1-$2K initial CL with Amex, in 61 days you can take a shot at raising it to $3-$6K, and in 6 months you can try to triple it again. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@bs6054 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

I agree with this, but there is probably a bit of sample bias re Amex giving the highest limit.   If this board was  populated with just the one percenters, we would see more "Just got the Palladium, 200K, my highest limit yet!"  But yes, given the relative ease of getting Amex charge, and then adding revolvers, Amex wins for the people on this forum, especially with the following 61 day 3xCLI.

That's a good point, the statistical sampling is off and we do see similar posts occasionally for lenders like Chase.

Off topic, but yes internal history does flavor things, though I'm not certain it's more than simply approvals in Amex's case.  I do think their internal risk model is different though, as in theory it'd let me charge up around 8K in a given month on my Zync right now which is >3x any of my other limits.  Actually I'm going to test that if I get an absurd limit (as if the approval wasn't ridiculous enough) and see what it compares to vs. the spending limit on the prior Zync.  Been enough other recent approvals in the last few days for similar cards to likely get some sort of feeling on that.

        
Message 14 of 28
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@TJDgator wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

Hahahaha@nicholas!!!!

Define "high cl"....

$5,000 and above

if you're qualified the CSP comes with a minimum 5k limit

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 15 of 28
TJDgator

@ryanbush wrote:

@TJDgator wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

Hahahaha@nicholas!!!!

Define "high cl"....

$5,000 and above

Doesn't chase like to see if you have other 5K+ cards before giving you the CSP?

Message 16 of 28
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

That's a good point, the statistical sampling is off and we do see similar posts occasionally for lenders like Chase.

Off topic, but yes internal history does flavor things, though I'm not certain it's more than simply approvals in Amex's case.  I do think their internal risk model is different though, as in theory it'd let me charge up around 8K in a given month on my Zync right now which is >3x any of my other limits.  Actually I'm going to test that if I get an absurd limit (as if the approval wasn't ridiculous enough) and see what it compares to vs. the spending limit on the prior Zync.  Been enough other recent approvals in the last few days for similar cards to likely get some sort of feeling on that.

While I have no way of knowing, I feel like Amex looked at the spend I was putting on my charge card when giving me my initial CL on my first revolver.  I put a lot of reimburseable travel through my cards, so I was spending a decent amount on my PRG when I got it.  I applied for the SPG about 6 months later and they gave me almost $20K, $19,600 IIRC.  At the time, the only open card I had was a Cap1 with a CL of $2500, so they weren't matching other lenders.  I did have a closed line with a CL of $10K. 

I'm sure income was a factor as well, but when I applied for a Chase and a Citi card the following year, the initial limits were $5500 and $7000 respectively.  So there's a decent case to be made that Amex was factoring in the internal history.  And I've recently applied for additional Chase and Citi cards and received much better limits with both, so it appears they also are looking at internal history.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 28
Open123
Super Contributor

In general, CUs often give high CLs.

Of non CUs, Amex is your best bet.  Initial CLs tend to be higher than average, and 60 day 3X.  Followed by another 3X in 6 months.

Message 18 of 28
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@TJDgator wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@TJDgator wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

Hahahaha@nicholas!!!!

Define "high cl"....

$5,000 and above

Doesn't chase like to see if you have other 5K+ cards before giving you the CSP?

I applied yesterday and got approved with a c/o from chase in 2006 (paid)  12% utilization, yes the rep mentioned that they liked to see a 5k limit but it ovbiously wasn't a requirement, my limits now are 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 19 of 28
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

GE doesn't have the highest limit initial cls, but GE accts grow.

Amex is def great with limits!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.