cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cards with high starting credit limit?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Cards with high starting credit limit?

Hight end:

NFCU        25k

AMEX         8.4k (Third card with them after Delta and Zync)

Discover      6k

Low end:

Chase       1.5k and 2k (Freedom/Amazon)

Walmart    1.8k (did get CLI to 5.4k so grows nicely)

AMEX         2k (CLI to 6k on 61st+ day)

Really the only cards that I have that are lagging in CL's are my Chase cards.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 28
chnceit
Valued Contributor

From my experience CU's are very generous with starting CL's

If you are able to join a Military targeted company like USAA or NFCU then they are great, but if you cannot then PenFed is awesome you will just need to join through an association, but they are very conservative 

Like youngandcreditworthy stated GE will grow like a weed that you cannot get rid of Smiley Happy 

Also with the ability to do 3 time your current CL AMEX's CSR is great

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 22 of 28
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Not certain on USAA - they didn't even match my current highest tradeline as a full member for nearly 20 years there.  I'd include them in the YMMV category, also most CU's fall into this category too though admittedly they are more liberal than some of the national banks.

        
Message 23 of 28
mirachi
Regular Contributor

HSBC gave me my two highest starting CLs (13.5K and another that was something like $17.5K - I called in and decreased it to $16K) followed next by PenFed ($7K)

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 24 of 28
thom02099
Valued Contributor

I really really need to get into the garden...! 

Applied for IberiaBank Select Visa, approval for $8000!  Got an email for conditional approval pending income/address/phone number verification.  Gave them a call this morning, talked to a nice lady who said to just disregard that old email, they didn't need anything more than my credit report.  They pulled EX. 

Applied for Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa, oddly enough can't be done on line, have to do it over the phone.  They tried to direct me to their website (cards.ml.com), there's just no means there as of yesterday to apply on line.  Their CSR thought that strange.  But I digress!  Gave the CSR all my info (thought they would simply piggyback off my BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa, but I guess not.  After all the information taken, got transferred to a Merrill Lynch credit analyst, who completed the transaction.  Asked me what I was comfortable with, I told him I had $10K with BofA, would like to match that, he asked if that was going to be enough, I said YES!!  So he matched that $10K!! 

Been a very good week for CLI and apps! 

Message 25 of 28
TJDgator

How about US Bank?

Message 26 of 28
JonStur
Established Contributor

Outstanding line-up you have there, are there anymore cards on your personal wish list?

@thom02099 wrote:

Applied for IberiaBank Select Visa, approval for $8000!  Got an email for conditional approval pending income/address/phone number verification.  Gave them a call this morning, talked to a nice lady who said to just disregard that old email, they didn't need anything more than my credit report.  They pulled EX. 

Applied for Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa, oddly enough can't be done on line, have to do it over the phone.  They tried to direct me to their website (cards.ml.com), there's just no means there as of yesterday to apply on line.  Their CSR thought that strange.  But I digress!  Gave the CSR all my info (thought they would simply piggyback off my BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa, but I guess not.  After all the information taken, got transferred to a Merrill Lynch credit analyst, who completed the transaction.  Asked me what I was comfortable with, I told him I had $10K with BofA, would like to match that, he asked if that was going to be enough, I said YES!!  So he matched that $10K!! 

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 27 of 28
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@JonStur wrote:

Outstanding line-up you have there, are there anymore cards on your personal wish list?

@thom02099 wrote:

No, not really.  These two were for specific reasons.   And I sometimes tend to go with "quirky" cards that have benefiits and/or features that I'd like to have at that time (hence the ZYNC and Clear cards in my portfolio).  The IberiaBank Select was one of those.  And part of it, frankly, was the challenge of getting these two cards.  I wasn't going to lose any sleep over either if I were denied.  I even suggested a PC from BofA to Merrill Lynch, but decided to go for the gusto when I got transferred to that credit analyst. 

I don't really aspire for any additional cards now.  I really do need to go into the Garden and enjoy the good fortune that's come my way.  AND I HAVE THIS FORUM TO THANK FOR THAT GOOD FORTUNE!!  I lurked and learned like, forever before I actually did any postings here.  PERSERVERANCE DOES PAY OFF, FOLKS! 

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.