Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Care Credit Questions/Requirements

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Care Credit Questions/Requirements

Hopefully within the next year, I intend to have a procedure that I will need the Care Credit card for. I will be saving funds to cover as much as I can because this may also involve a bit of travel (hotel the night before in another city, hotel the night of for my wife, and possibly hotel for another night when going back for the one week check up). The lower rate on the procedure would require the travel, but a higher rate on the procedure could have it happen within 10 miles of home.

I was denied just this morning, but then again I DO have 16 inquiries on my credit report (all from the last 30 days...had an app spree to begin filling out my very thin credit file), and just bought a car yesterday. Current scores average at 640. 

Income is $40k, no big baddies, everything goes on auto pay so nothing can be late. AAoA is 2.5 years, 6 new cards in the last 30 days (brings my total to 7....Cap One QS/Discover IT and 5 store cards from stores I shop at regularly for work/home stuff so they make sense).

Question is: What does Care Credit look for? Scores, AAoA, payment history? Inq? Types of tradelines?

I will try again in 6 months once that auto loan is well-established along with the new cards and the biggest ding of the inquiries lessens. So gardening. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
percy81
Frequent Contributor

Re: Care Credit Questions/Requirements

If you JUST applied for the card and got Denied I would seriously call them back and ask for a recon and if approved try for a good credit limit! It won't hurt to call since you already got the inquiry on your report. They are pretty good with recons. When I applied they approved me for 7000 and I wanted more to have padding for my utilization and they approved me for 10k withot additional hard pull. CALL THEM BACK LOL and explain why you have extra inquiries (to add some beef to your credit file) so they know you're not a risk and desperate for money. Please update us :-)

Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 2 of 11
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@percy81 wrote:

If you JUST applied for the card and got Denied I would seriously call them back and ask for a recon and if approved try for a good credit limit! It won't hurt to call since you already got the inquiry on your report. They are pretty good with recons. When I applied they approved me for 7000 and I wanted more to have padding for my utilization and they approved me for 10k withot additional hard pull. CALL THEM BACK LOL and explain why you have extra inquiries (to add some beef to your credit file) so they know you're not a risk and desperate for money. Please update us :-)

I don't believe Synchrony recons denials...   

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 3 of 11
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

They don't overturn computer denials

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suggestions on the wait time to re-apply?

Message 5 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Suggestions on the wait time to re-apply?

I would not app for anything else till those inqs age past 6 months and then I would be selective till a year is past.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hopefully within the next year, I intend to have a procedure that I will need the Care Credit card for. I will be saving funds to cover as much as I can because this may also involve a bit of travel (hotel the night before in another city, hotel the night of for my wife, and possibly hotel for another night when going back for the one week check up). The lower rate on the procedure would require the travel, but a higher rate on the procedure could have it happen within 10 miles of home.

I was denied just this morning, but then again I DO have 16 inquiries on my credit report (all from the last 30 days...had an app spree to begin filling out my very thin credit file), and just bought a car yesterday. Current scores average at 640. 

Income is $40k, no big baddies, everything goes on auto pay so nothing can be late. AAoA is 2.5 years, 6 new cards in the last 30 days (brings my total to 7....Cap One QS/Discover IT and 5 store cards from stores I shop at regularly for work/home stuff so they make sense).

Question is: What does Care Credit look for? Scores, AAoA, payment history? Inq? Types of tradelines?

I will try again in 6 months once that auto loan is well-established along with the new cards and the biggest ding of the inquiries lessens. So gardening. 

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. I think you could apply and let your wife cosign. Or better to just let her apply and have you cosign or be an AU. 

Most places that take care credit take major credit cards anyway. You could always try for something with a good intro promo. Can also balance transfer stuff from her to you as well. 

You definitely have to garden now. Keep requesting cli on discover every 16 days, cap 1 every 6 mos. 

Care credit hps my tu and ex and I'm in the Midwest. Also when you do get approved you can request a 25kcli and let the system counter as a soft pull. 

What are your wife's scores, maybe she could get a good 21 month intro offer from Bank of America and move some stuff around (bt) ? 

When I got mine I had no other cards, had a cosigner with no other cards but had a car loan / mortgage.

Had I been on here I would have known about the 25k counter limit deal and probably would not have been denied by discover last year. I was always at over 75% of the darn limit and didn't think to ask for extra. But I have even let relatives use my care credit and it has really helped my credit. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

gdale6, the only app I intend to make in the next year is the Care Credit, so it's good to hear that my initial plan of gardening AT LEAST 6 months before trying again is sound. Thanks.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

jfriend33, I wish she had the scores to be the primary! My wife is just getting into the rebuilding process, she has left her credit fairly untouched since she got divorced 4 years ago. (It's a recent marriage for us, first for me....second for her)

If she gets into it quickly and makes some good progress, we might be able to get "personal loans" each that cover a good chunk of it.

It's no 25k procedure, 6-9k the projected amount after several consultations. But once I am approved, I will try for the highest CL I can because you never know what may pop up, especially with two sons. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are definitely on the right track. Between the two of you, 6 months to a year is going to make a lot of difference on your credit. You are a member here which always helps.

I am almost thinking that for now you could focus on just one of you, using your cards a TON and PIF whenever possible....have you had luck with the 16-18 day discover CLI? We went from $4,400 to $11,500 really quickly. You can also call in to discover and tell them you'd like the 0% on new purchases. Pay the discover off, then you have a year of no interest right there.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.