cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Care Credit closed due to inactivity. Can it be reopened?

tag
TheMarg

Care Credit closed due to inactivity. Can it be reopened?

I just got a letter dated August 15th stating my Care Credit account had been closed by the grantor due to inactivity. It had an $8500 CL, and I have yet to use it. The letter stated it would show closed by credit grantor. I used the online chat to ask if it could be reopened and was told it wasn't possible. I then called the customer service number and was also told that, once closed, the account can't be reopened and that I would need to apply again. Has anyone else had this come up? Could a supervisor perhaps do something to reopen the account? It really isn't the end of the world as far as losing the account, as I likely wouldn't use it. I just don't want a closed by grantor message to affect my status with my other cards.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Care Credit closed due to inactivity. Can it be reopened?

I'd keep calling to see if they'll make an exception to reopen for you.   Don't worry about the closed by credit grantor status, it won't be an issue.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Closed by grantor will not affect your status. If asked, it was closed for inactivity.
Message 3 of 10
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

@TheMarg wrote:

I just got a letter dated August 15th stating my Care Credit account had been closed by the grantor due to inactivity. It had an $8500 CL, and I have yet to use it. The letter stated it would show closed by credit grantor. I used the online chat to ask if it could be reopened and was told it wasn't possible. I then called the customer service number and was also told that, once closed, the account can't be reopened and that I would need to apply again. Has anyone else had this come up? Could a supervisor perhaps do something to reopen the account? It really isn't the end of the world as far as losing the account, as I likely wouldn't use it. I just don't want a closed by grantor message to affect my status with my other cards.

How long has your account been inactive? Kinda worried about our account as it's been inactive for almost 7 months. No big deal. Just curious as to when to expect closure.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 4 of 10
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@OnTheRebound wrote:

@TheMarg wrote:

How long has your account been inactive? Kinda worried about our account as it's been inactive for almost 7 months. No big deal. Just curious as to when to expect closure.

Why don't you do some minor transaction with your card and wait til after the statement date to pay it off. That way it will record on your credit reports as active and you will avert closure for inactivity. To the original poster: If you get to the right person at the credit card company, they can do whatever they want including reopening it. The thing is to convince them to do so. It will most likely be an uphill battle.I would take this as a very inexpensive lesson and charge a token sum on your other cards you want to keep open every month or two. Let some of them record a balance as of the statement date. You can make a charge that is small so that interest is negligable. Some people will come on the forum here and spend 3 sentences explaining how there is no way they will ever not pay before the statement date because they never will pay interest. However, some cards want to see a balance every statement date before they will conider a CLI. I'm sorry your card got closed for inactivity. That is frustrating to be sure but in the grand scheme of things in life it really isn't that big of a deal.

Message 5 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

@TheMarg wrote:

Because the reason for closure is listed, you shouldn't run into any problems at all. Even if the reasoning weren't stated, a couple accounts closed by grantor, assuming a decent file, usually wouldn't matter either.

People stop using some of their cards when they get better ones. This is perfectly normal.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 10
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

Was your account opened recently? How long was it inactive?
NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 Smiley Happy
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Message 7 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@TheMarg wrote:

Unfortunately, once the account is closed, it cannot be reopened... even if escalated through any executive channel.  Sorry OP.  However, as far as the "closed by credit grantor" statement displaying on your CR, and as others have mentioned,  it really doesn't affect anything at all with regard to how other potential lenders may see it.

Message 8 of 10
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@StartingLifeOver wrote:
Was your account opened recently? How long was it inactive?

I'm curious of this as well. The last time I used mine was last year, Made the last payment in October 2012 so that means mine has been inactive for 10 months... Unless my recent CLI request resets that?

Message 9 of 10
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

Just found out today my care credit account has also been closed. I never used it and had a 12,500 cl. Not received a letter yet, but can only presume it was due to inactivity. My other GE accounts are ok though and I haven't used some of those for a few years. Care credit was my newer account just under a year old. I guess this account has different standards for activity.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.