Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Care Credit

tag
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

Care Credit

How many of you guy / gals have gotten this? What were your scores when pulled?

Starting Score: 454
Current Score: 690
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Care Credit

@Breakthecycle2 wrote:

Have used it for vet financing for the past 4 or 5 years, pay it off b4 promo expiry periods w/o fail so far, so it has been a useful card. 

Was surprised just recently to find it's accepted with 0 financing for my sports medicine physical therapy co-pays, which was nice even though PIF...left unused, they may close after approx 12 mos. according to a GEMB 'LO' and the regular interest rate is 26.99(v).

Some posts indicate approvals 620+ more or less, not a particularly difficult approval.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 13
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@Breakthecycle2 wrote:

Have used it for vet financing for the past 4 or 5 years, pay it off b4 promo expiry periods w/o fail so far, so it has been a useful card. 

Was surprised just recently to find it's accepted with 0 financing for my sports medicine physical therapy co-pays, which was nice even though PIF...left unused, they may close after approx 12 mos. according to a GEMB 'LO' and the regular interest rate is 26.99(v).

Some posts indicate approvals 620+ more or less, not a particularly difficult approval.

Just in case, are they lenient on recons do you know?

Message 3 of 13
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

Anyone else?

Message 4 of 13
laz98
Senior Contributor

i had it for about 8 months.  they closed it before i got to use it Smiley Sad

i believe my scores were about 650s when i applied; i got approved for 5k.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

As you probably know, Care Credit is notorious for having zero percent introductory rates.  Google will give you a boatload of folks with negative experiences with Care Credit.  If not paid off - every whit - by the end of the introductory rates, then the new (and very high) rate is active and in fact, retroactive to day one.  It's a killer program.

We had Care Credit for maybe a year.  Then we opened a CU account with a similar CL, but with a great low interest rate.  We closed Care Credit and use the CU card for medical expenses (we've had quite a few).  The CU works swell.  We pay it off pronto - but if worse came to worse and we couldn't pay it off, we know the balance would only be subject to the moderate CU interest rate rather than the killer interest rate that Care Credit hits you with.

The bad news is - we all plan on paying things off on time.  But if disaster strikes and you can't - it's the very worst time to be hit with a retroactive smacker of an interest rate.  If you do the math on this one, you may choose another type of card for emergency medical. 

Message 6 of 13
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Breakthecycle2 wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@Breakthecycle2 wrote:

Just in case, are they lenient on recons do you know?

This is a good question I'd imagine since it's GEMB that cs is not up to par on recon, etc, but am not sure.

Message 7 of 13
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As you probably know, Care Credit is notorious for having zero percent introductory rates.  Google will give you a boatload of folks with negative experiences with Care Credit.  If not paid off - every whit - by the end of the introductory rates, then the new (and very high) rate is active and in fact, retroactive to day one.  It's a killer program.

We had Care Credit for maybe a year.  Then we opened a CU account with a similar CL, but with a great low interest rate.  We closed Care Credit and use the CU card for medical expenses (we've had quite a few).  The CU works swell.  We pay it off pronto - but if worse came to worse and we couldn't pay it off, we know the balance would only be subject to the moderate CU interest rate rather than the killer interest rate that Care Credit hits you with.

The bad news is - we all plan on paying things off on time.  But if disaster strikes and you can't - it's the very worst time to be hit with a retroactive smacker of an interest rate.  If you do the math on this one, you may choose another type of card for emergency medical. 

Makes excellent points about the pitfalls of an acct like CareCredit, worthy of serious consideration b4 an app is placed for it.

Message 8 of 13
toytoy
Regular Contributor

I applied and was accepted for this back in October. I applied online and just put in $8000 when they asked me what I wanted my limit to be. I just put that amount in for kicks and what do you know it was accepted. I use it for the dentist bc I practically live there. I pay extra every month with plans  on making 2 lump sum payments throughout the 18 month 0% APR. I can't remember my exact score because then is when I was going on my app frenzy so my score had took a bit of a hit but it was high 600s. 

Starting Score: EQ 603~TU 613
Current Score: EQ 763~TU 706
Goal Score: 810

Message 9 of 13
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

I just opened about 8 new accounts in the last 13 months. 5 or 6 with GEMB. I need to get some dental work done and Im afraid they will deny me because of the new GEMB accounts. They have denied me in the past for this reason.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.