Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Care Credit?

tag
ptilda
Established Contributor

Care Credit?

So I have some dental work that needs to be done. It's a fairly extensive bridge and/or implant to take care of a space left when I didn't have any insurance & just had them extracted. Now everything is migrating on the right side of my mouth, making future issues probable. Not an emergency per-se, but it is something that needs fixing.

Insurance doesn't cover it because it's a pre-existing missing tooth (duh, which is why I need the bridge/implant).

I'm in the garden, and will sit there a few months either way, but wondering if I should try for this card?

My FICO is recovering from my recent app insanity, and will hopefully be back in the 650's or higher as soon as the low utils are reporting.

I do have quite a few inquiries, but am with the understanding that those are less of a factor after 3 months.

I have perfect payment history except for one erroneous late on a (deferred) student loan. Should be fixed within 3 months.

I understand Care Credit pulls EX? That's a better report for me.

I also have Wally & Amazon (GE cards) and will have perfect payment history & low util.

So after my next visit to the dentist, we'll know more, but I'm wondering if I should app in March/April? How much should I ask? I'll need around $6k. Is that possible with my situation? Should I ask for $10k, or is that ridiculous?

Thanks for your help!

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
parkman
Regular Contributor

Re: Care Credit?

I applied for Care Credit when my credit was not so hot, and I got approved. More than likely because I had 2 other GE accounts in good standing. As with other lenders, they base your limit on your other limits. Although they're known to be generous, looking at your existing limits, 10,000, and even 6,000, is a long shot, but you should certainly try anyway.

All I have for this forum is bubblegum and anecdotal evidence, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Message 2 of 17
user5387
Valued Contributor

There is a very recent news item about a settlement between CareCredit and the CFPB.

I would suggest taking a hard look at the interest rate plan they use.  If you don't know what "deferred interest" is, then I would find out before applying.

Message 3 of 17
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Pulled TU for both myself and DH.  Does your dentist accept CareCredit?  If he does, what plan does he offer?  I'd check that out before applying.

I got instant $1500 with $900 increase when the card arrived (through their phone system).  DH got $2500 instant.  Both scores in the 650 at the time.

Message 4 of 17
ptilda
Established Contributor

My dentist does take it. What's the difference in plans?

I know 6k is a long shot, but thought they'd counter & sounds like it's better to aim high?

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 5 of 17
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@ptilda wrote:

My dentist does take it. What's the difference in plans?

I know 6k is a long shot, but thought they'd counter & sounds like it's better to aim high?

Ask for 10k they will counter. Some plans Drs have only go a year. Be sure that you know how long before applying. It might not be a benefit to get the card.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

CareCredit Pulls TU

You can just apply online.... upon approval you have to wait about 24-36 hours and you can call in and ask for more and it doesn't pull another HP.

The system does counter also. but no matter what I would call in after approval and push for more and see what it will counter at.

Last CLI with my partners card went to $5k from just $800 instantly so I had the lady go in and process a 2nd CLI and asked for $20k, system countered back $12,500.

Message 7 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It all depends on your overall CR profile amongst a few factors.  It is possible that you could get marginally approved and not for the highest CL as expected, thereby making it counterproductive - unless as Creditaddict mentioned, whether they would be willing to extend any additional CL from the get-go... YEMV.

Message 8 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

It all depends on your overall CR profile amongst a few factors.  It is possible that you could get marginally approved and not for the highest CL as expected, thereby making it counterproductive - unless as Creditaddict mentioned, whether they would be willing to extend any additional CL from the get-go... YEMV.

yes don't miss the part that my partners CL was $800 when he did the CLI... he was instantly approved for $500 originally and then at 24 hours was able to go to $800 but still GASPING terrible CL for him but fast forward the 4+ months and clearly there computer came around to realize how terrible too because then was able to go all the way up to $12,500.

Message 9 of 17
Charger_Fan19
Contributor

I was approved instantly for $1K, I asked for $2000 to cover the dental work I needed. At the time my scores were in the 625-640 range. My dentist was actually able to call on my behalf to get an increase to cover the work, she just had to give them the total of the treatment plan. I got my $2000 line and deferred interest for 1 year. I just split it up into 11 payments to make sure I don't get nailed with all the interest at the end.

Starting Score: EQ 500 TU 500 EX 500
Current Score: EQ 647 TU 685 EX 684 9/2/16 Recommitted to Fico Health! Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 700
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.