Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CareCredit Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CareCredit Advice

Hello all.  I have a fairly expensive dental procedure coming up and when I asked about their financing options my dentist handed me a pamphlet for CareCredit.  He explained that it work just like a credit card.  I had a few questions I am sure the boards will know the answers to:

1)What are the credit limits like?  Do they usually match the amount of the service you are being provided?  

2)If they offer limits close to the total amount of the procedure that needs to be done, won't utilization be kind of wonky?

3)Anyone have any bad experiences with them?

4)I tried to search the boards to find someone excited about CareCredit...I couldn't.  Is anyone a CareCredit super-fan or fan?  Why?

Thanks everyone for your continued help and advice!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Re: CareCredit Advice

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all.  I have a fairly expensive dental procedure coming up and when I asked about their financing options my dentist handed me a pamphlet for CareCredit.  He explained that it work just like a credit card.  I had a few questions I am sure the boards will know the answers to:

1)What are the credit limits like?  Do they usually match the amount of the service you are being provided?  

2)If they offer limits close to the total amount of the procedure that needs to be done, won't utilization be kind of wonky?

4)I tried to search the boards to find someone excited about CareCredit...I couldn't.  Is anyone a CareCredit super-fan or fan?  Why?

I love Care Credit. I actually just made that comment today when I paid for my pets' heartworm preventative. Six months no interest on a $100 bill. I'll take it anyday.

They usually try to match the cost of your procedure. Obviously that depends on your credit status. They always ask for the cost of the procedure and will usually try to match the cost. If they don't, call them and have them manually reconsider your credit limit.

Utilization will get high so I recommend asking for MORE than you need. My card had a limit of $2700. I had to put about $2500 on it for my dog's dental work so I called them for a CLI. It was a hard pull but it was worth the $3000 I got. Definitely ask for way more than you think the dental ill cost.

I've had this card since September and I've not really had any negative experience. I had my issues with my first payment (I put my acccount number in wrong) and I didn't realize it didn't go through until it was past due. The rep that helped me initially was rude but his supervisor was wonderful. I haven't had a problem since them.

I'm a big fan of the care credit. just be sure to pay off your entire bill BEFORE the promotional period ends. Otherwise, the interest is retroactively added.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

We have it at the veterinary office I work at..te lowest apr I've seen is a 26.99%, but if you can get it paid off in time it's a good thing to have..
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had mine for just under a year, and it's fine. $3k limit, and paying it off before the promotional interest kicks in (this is a MUST, just like all other "0% for X months" offers).

Plus, once it's paid off, it's basically an open card that you can only use for medical, so less temptation for a new TV.

Message 4 of 12
Gotagoal
Regular Contributor

I love Care Credit.   I have had them since 2007 and they have been terrific.

I initially needed about $2800 for Lasik and that's the limit they gave me but then I called and said that would 'max' out the card so they raised it to $4800.   They offer good promos too so check with your dentist or care clinic (can't remember).  Recently my mom needed me to take care of her $1100 dental bill so I had to use my Care Credit account which made me happy to be able to help.  

Overall, a great card in my book.

Hope this helps. Ask any questions so I can help.

This Forum has helped me since 2007. I've learned a lot.

good luck!

Message 5 of 12
EC341
Established Member

Same here. We've had Care Credit for awhile now and like it a lot. We got an 8k limit and have just been using it for dental and some eye care. Remember, not everyone takes it so ask ahead.

Message 6 of 12
traveler2005
Established Contributor

I love care credit, had dental work done and paid vet bill for our cat. have 6 months to pay interest free.   Just be sure to make your payments so you beat the 6 month deadline.  I orginally asked for 5000 and got 3000. I can't complain, I will keep making my payments on all my cards on time and my cards credit lines will increase.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aussiesareforever wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I love Care Credit. I actually just made that comment today when I paid for my pets' heartworm preventative. Six months no interest on a $100 bill. I'll take it anyday.

They usually try to match the cost of your procedure. Obviously that depends on your credit status. They always ask for the cost of the procedure and will usually try to match the cost. If they don't, call them and have them manually reconsider your credit limit.

Utilization will get high so I recommend asking for MORE than you need. My card had a limit of $2700. I had to put about $2500 on it for my dog's dental work so I called them for a CLI. It was a hard pull but it was worth the $3000 I got. Definitely ask for way more than you think the dental ill cost.

I've had this card since September and I've not really had any negative experience. I had my issues with my first payment (I put my acccount number in wrong) and I didn't realize it didn't go through until it was past due. The rep that helped me initially was rude but his supervisor was wonderful. I haven't had a problem since them.

I'm a big fan of the care credit. just be sure to pay off your entire bill BEFORE the promotional period ends. Otherwise, the interest is retroactively added.

Thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful answers. Smiley Happy

I will take your advice on asking for more than the total cost of procedures will be.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
We have it at the veterinary office I work at..te lowest apr I've seen is a 26.99%, but if you can get it paid off in time it's a good thing to have..

Wowza that is high.  Good to know...always pay off in promotional period!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had mine for just under a year, and it's fine. $3k limit, and paying it off before the promotional interest kicks in (this is a MUST, just like all other "0% for X months" offers).

Plus, once it's paid off, it's basically an open card that you can only use for medical, so less temptation for a new TV.

Thank, yes I was going to pay it off in the promotional period.  

As to your second point we were thinking the same thing, we have pets and were thinking some of their unexpected expenses could go on there.  If one had a second large expense that were to be put on CareCredit card, do they low apr/promo offers to existing card members?  Because the 26.99% figure mentioned above makes that plan seem not so reasonable!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.