Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CareCredit Deferred Interest Program

tag
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

CareCredit Deferred Interest Program

Hello all,

Just wanted to post to you guys a reminder how CareCredit's deferred interest program works - simply because I forgot, had a lapse in judgement, and almost had to pay the accrued interest - so, I figured I would just post and maybe save one of you from the (almost) same mistake I made.

For those of you who have a CareCredit card by GE/Synchrony, any purchase of $200 qualifies for the deferred interest date.  For me, I had major ankle reconstructive surgery, and, not wanting to tie up the credit on my other non "branded" cards, I used my CareCredit since I have a nice CL with them and the surgical center accepted it.

With that said - the "promotional period" applies to the transaction date - NOT the statement date.  So, for example, if I used the card on the 15th of the month, the balance MUST be paid off by the 15th of the final month of the promotion (I.E., 6/12/18 months), and NOT by the statement's payment due date.  I came within two days of the transaction date - and was able to make a payment to avoid the accrued interest, but, yeah, just wanted to share that with all of you.

If I can help just one of you save some money, then my mission was a success!

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Re: CareCredit Deferred Interest Program

I wonder how many people fall into that loophole?

Thanks for sharing!

What called your attention to that little gem?

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I learned something. I thought care credit was only for vetinary purposes. When I finally get my foot in the door with Synch, that's what I'll be trying for!

Message 3 of 9
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Dalmus - I happened to log on to their website and saw a "Promotional Transactions" tab and noticed that promotion end date did not match the statement due date - so I looked at the T&Cs and low and behold, there it was.  I'd imagine a lot of people fall in to it and then don't realize it until it is too late.

Noxqs - it can be used for many things - Doctor's Offices, Vets, Dental Visits.  I use it mostly for my vet because again, I'd rather not use my other available credit, plus, it is a consistent usage and keeps it active.  Gotten two CLIs with them in the 18 months I have had it. It is actually the easiest of all SYNCH cards to get, so I am told, so, good luck to when you get it!

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 4 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I agree that you have to be really careful with Care Credit... it can be a fantastic way to get 0% financing but if you slip up, the consequences are rather harsh.  Smiley Frustrated

As long as you know where to look it's actually quite easy to keep track of - remembering to do so is the key!  Smiley Wink

carepromo.jpg

Message 5 of 9
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Thanks for posting the screen shot - I hadn't quite figured out how to do that to show it.

But yes, very nice for a short interest free loan as long as you know how it works!  I know now and def. won't make the same mistake again!

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 6 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I learned something. I thought care credit was only for vetinary purposes. When I finally get my foot in the door with Synch, that's what I'll be trying for!

+1

I learn new stuff on here every day... at one time, I didn't know Care Credit could be use at the vet!  Smiley Very Happy

I use mine at the dentist... I broke a tooth and had to get a full porcelain crown with only two day's notice - that was my first purchase with it.  The second purchase was for a dental implant; I had the screw put in my jaw back in November and I get the crown attached this Thursday!  (I'm actually excited). 

Without the 0% promotional financing I likely would have continued to put it off, and probably would have ended up not getting it done. 

Message 7 of 9
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Good to know, thanks for the info.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for this, I made sure to check mine just now👍🏽
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.