cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CareCredit---Should I apply online or in the dental office????

tag
goodgirl-badcredit
Frequent Contributor

CareCredit---Should I apply online or in the dental office????

I need about $2000 worth of dental work completed. I will need to apply for this card but i am not sure if i should let the dental office run the app or if i should apply online .. which would be best?

Thanks

gg-bc

Starting Score: 3/21 EQ 636 TU 669
Current Score: 12/30 EQ 740 TU 712 EX ??? ....
Goal Score: Yay... I reached my goal of 700!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Re: CareCredit---Should I apply online or in the dental office????

It seems that applying live is preferable to online. The staff sometimes know how to submit your application for the best chance of getting approved.

I think Care Credit usually pulls EQ. You might want to check your EQ before you apply.

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jaysdad2k wrote:

It seems that applying live is preferable to online. The staff sometimes know how to submit your application for the best chance of getting approved.

I think Care Credit usually pulls EQ. You might want to check your EQ before you apply.

+1

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@goodgirl-badcredit wrote:

I need about $2000 worth of dental work completed. I will need to apply for this card but i am not sure if i should let the dental office run the app or if i should apply online .. which would be best?

Thanks

gg-bc

Find you dentist on the Care Credit site (do Provider search).  Then click APPLY next to the dentist name....this is eqivalent to app'ing in the office.  This also provides you some privacy if that is important to you.

An alternative to Care Credit is Chase Health Advance.  Your dentist must be a provider with provider ID, (you have to enter your dentist ID at time of app).  My dentist was not part of Chase and I asked them if the would sign up....they did and it took no time at all, Chase actually sent a Rep to the dentist office to show them how to do everything and provided a direct contact number for them.  The dentist now prefers Chase over Care Credit, plus they now have 2 options for their patients to get financing.

DW was declined Care Credit, but approved Chase.  Father was declined Chase but approved Care Credit. 

Chase pulls EX....Care Credit pulls EQ.  So now you have an option depending on where you are strongest or if you want to spread inquiries out.

Message Edited by txjohn on 11-25-2009 11:10 AM
Message 4 of 14
champ02
Established Member

If the the scores you have posted are accurate, I would not bother applying even at the Dr's office.  They turned me down cold a little over a year ago at the dentist's office with scores in the low 600's on EQ.  Minutes ago I applied online and was approved for $5000 instantly!  My EQ score as of today is 683 with only 3 old negative items showing on my credit report.  Good luck with getting financed.

Starting Score: TU 501 7/2006, EQ 475 7/2006, EX 499 7/2006
Current Score: TU 709 12/2011, EQ 677, EX ???
Goal Score: All above 700

Message 5 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Definitely pull an updated EQ. July is far too long ago.

One thing to keep in mind as you look at older Care Credit threads: they seem to have gone through a period of really tight money last November - December (2008), and folks with scores in the mid-700's were being declined. Then it seems that things loosened up again in the new year, and they started approving again.

So the historical data on qualifying scores need some big fat asterisks by them.

Note: it would make sense that their money tightened up at the end of the year. Many apps for Care Credit are for cosmetic surgery and other procedures (dental, etc.) that aren't covered by insurance. People tend to save up all sorts of surgeries and what-not for the end of the tax year, when they can recuperate during holiday vacation time, and total up all the separate bills and write off the medical expenses on next year's income taxes. So anyone applying now might have a lot more competition than those applying in March or June or something.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Definitely pull an updated EQ. July is far too long ago.

One thing to keep in mind as you look at older Care Credit threads: they seem to have gone through a period of really tight money last November - December (2008), and folks with scores in the mid-700's were being declined. Then it seems that things loosened up again in the new year, and they started approving again.

So the historical data on qualifying scores need some big fat asterisks by them.

Note: it would make sense that their money tightened up at the end of the year. Many apps for Care Credit are for cosmetic surgery and other procedures (dental, etc.) that aren't covered by insurance. People tend to save up all sorts of surgeries and what-not for the end of the tax year, when they can recuperate during holiday vacation time, and total up all the separate bills and write off the medical expenses on next year's income taxes. So anyone applying now might have a lot more competition than those applying in March or June or something.

Yes, they have definitely loosened up.  I have several friends/acquaintances that have been approved for up to $8000 with thin credit and with spotty credit (680-ish having an old CA and SEVERAL federal tax liens).

Message 7 of 14
goodgirl-badcredit
Frequent Contributor

i just pulled my report my fico is 573... I have balances on a few cards my aaoa is 3 years... Wish me luck i will try it out and see what they say...

Starting Score: 3/21 EQ 636 TU 669
Current Score: 12/30 EQ 740 TU 712 EX ??? ....
Goal Score: Yay... I reached my goal of 700!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ouch...that's pretty low on FICO and I will be surprised if they approve it.

But good luck and PLEASE let us know your app results.

Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
DI
Super Contributor

I would apply online.  Even with my high scores, I'm still reluctant to apply in person for anything.   I would be embarrassed to get turndown as PenFed would say.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.