Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CareCredit - app help?

tag
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

CareCredit - app help?

Hi all,

I am biting the bullet soon on buying new hearing aids - around $5,600.  I was looking into this care credit card since that would let me keep my cash earning SOMETHING while I pay no interest for 18 months.  But a few questions..

1. Do I need to put my income on the application? Right now, I'm a graduate student so it's low and it's not a real contract job type situation...

2. Scores are in the mid 700's... that would be high enough, correct?

3. Is it better to apply online or at the provider's office?

4. How do I ask for the limit I need right off the bat? (ie, can I say "$10k") Does this depend on income?

5. Would it be better to make DH joint or AU?  His scores are also in the 700s but his income is even more varied - several sources, no real contract...

I don't want to risk a HP and get denied so I hope y'all can help first.  Other info: only other debt is SL (deferred currently, paid up, no lates) and mortgage (paying on time, no lates ever).  We have enough to pay in full the price now, I just thought it would be nice to defer the total cost and have that money earning a bit of interest.  The card would also help with vet visits for our 3 cats and dental for DH.  I have a penfed with ~$9k limit, USAA cards with $14k and $25k limits, VS card with $650 limit - but none have no interest for x months right now...

Thoughts? Advice?  

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: CareCredit - app help?

One thing about Care Credit.....the doctor chooses the length of the 0% interest.  For example, my vision surgery is $4600 for new lenses, and my doctor offers 0% for 12 months.  Bummer, but we don't get to choose the terms.

I filled out mine online, (yes put in income) and was approved instantly for $1500.  I called once the card was received and asked for $2500, no problem.  I would probably apply jointly, which will probably get you a higher limit.  Once the card arrives, you can call (done electronically) and ask for an increase if you need (or want) it.  You may be able to do it immediately as they will send you the account number right away.  SAVE that number!!!!!!!

My scores were mid 600's.  However, if you live in Wisconsin (I believe), it does state that you must include spouse income even if applying separately. 

Message 2 of 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: CareCredit - app help?

Apply online...

If you are about to change work and know income... Id use that income since that will be the income you will use to repay.

Id ask for the $6k you need.  Then if approved today.... tomorrow you can call the automated number that will print on your approval email you print out and ask for $25k and the system will counter as high as it can on the same pull.

IF you get denied, then I would consider going back and applying as joint witht hat person as first applicant and you as co-applicant.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.